B&Q "cooke & lewis" cabinets

5 years ago installing kitchen the cooke and lewis cabinets were quite good quality with MDF 8mm backs - they made a point of the strong backs. Just g ot a new larder unit to finally finish off the end section of the kitchen a nd it has flimsy 3.2mm hardboard backs. A feeble bit of cross bracing has b een added to try to help. But, a new Trade Point "click fit" range has 8mm backs. Strange that.

Anyway, quality is down, I'd think twice about the range now.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

what do you proposed to do with these cupboards that sees you risking breaking through the backs?

I've got 8 year old cupboards here (installed before they became mine) and the backs are all perfectly sound

I accept that they might be more prone to rattling a little but that is solved by gluing them in place (unfortunately too fiddly as a reto-fit)

tim

Reply to
tim...

Non-hardboard backs just make a more sturdy cabinet - thats all. B&Q had two kitchen ranges, "IT" and Cooke and Lewis. The C&L carcasses were better quality. I think they are using the same carasses for both ranges now.

Anyway, other quality reductions:

- The cams are now a hollow casting that looks very weak - they do not seem to lock securely.

- All panels have as-thin-as-you-can-get melamine veneer on the undersides.

- The shelves have no veneer on the sides or back

- The shelves do not seat securely but just sit on top of little prongs.

- The legs are more spindley and have a much smaller contact area.

You get the idea !

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson