installing kitchen cabinets

Hello all, i am in the process of installing kitchen cabinets. I have everything measured and have located all wall studs. I have a cabinet that is 12" W x

30" H. Unfortunately it falls in between 2 studs. What types of anchors should i use when attaching it to the wall. Also, there are cabinets on both sides of it. What size/type screws should i use to attach the cabinet to the cabinets beside it, that will be anchored into studs? I am using 14 x 2" screws to attach the cabinets to the studs. regards Steve
Reply to
steve

All though not ideal by any means, you certianly could attach this small cabinet to it's neighbor...it won't go anywhere if the others are securely fastened to the wall. you could also put a spacer (to compensate for the overhang of the face frame) between the backs of the cabinets then fasten'em together to hold the back from moving from side to side.

I'm going to guess that you're using the washer headed screws supplied by the MFG? If you are...I'd toss them in a heart beat and use the GRK cabinet screws . The torx heads are awesome...especially in tight situations. In additon, GRK has trim head screws that work very well to attach the cabinet face frames to each other.

DAC

Reply to
DAC

Hi DAC, There were no manufactureres screws supplied. I just bought my own. Can you get the grkfasteners at home depot? Not sure what you mean:

i bought the kitchen through home depot. They got one cabinet mixed up. I wasn't impressed although they are nice looking cabinets thanks' Steve

Reply to
steve

You might be able to use hang strips, though this could be a trick to adapt to the particular cabinets you have. These are fir strips you attach to wall and cabinets, with angle so that the cabinets don't slide off. The ones on wall would run the full length of your cabinet run, screwed to studs. Difficulty is that you'd have to notch sides of cabinet where strip passes through. Carefull measuring required, though the hang itself is real easy.

Reply to
Sev

The cabinet will cover the wall, right? So mark where you want your mounting screws to go, cut a 18" 1 x 3 and lay it on your marked area and trace an outline. Cut away the drywall, cut a 3/4" x2 1/2" notch in each stud, and nail the 1 x 3 in place. Hang your cabinet. Much nicer than depending on some spooky drywall fastener that is only fit for hanging pictures. If you use a jig saw with a blade ground off to the right length you can have a nailing plate in place in under 10 minutes. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

If it is 1/2" drywall, you can use 1/2" plywood and avoid the notching.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Hi Steve,

No the screws aren't a BORG item...rather you'll need to get to a decent lumber yard or building supply center. They really are worth the effort to locate.

With regards to the spacer...I guess I'm assuming that you have cabinets with a face frame...if not dis-regard, if so, look at the side of the cabinet, where the face frame connects the side. It'll overhang something like 1/8th inch on each cabinet for a total gap of

1/4" when 2 cabinets are side by side. While the fronts are tight together, the sides and backs will have this 1/4" gap. Since the cabinet won't be fastened to the wall, and the fronts are fastened to it's neighbor, the backs wouldn't be supported. Put a 1/4" shim between the cabinets and screw them to each other. With the combination of the face frame fastened together, and the rear shimmed and fastened, that cabinet wouldn't move for anything!

If you go this route, a barrel nut screw would work really well.

I hope this helps,

DAC

Reply to
DAC