Automatic windscreen wipers and frost

Tell me a faster or more ingenious way to warm the glass.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I thought all cars had an option to wipe once. So what's wrong with leaving it on auto all the time?

This might explain why there are so many fuckwits driving around with dipped beam during daylight hours. Has everybody got the sensor set wrong, or dirty?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'd prefer never having to operate the switch at all. Otherwise it's not really automatic is it?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes, and having to remember to reset the switch is a pain in the dong.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Brilliant. Drive into a car wash and the wipers get ripped off. Or they take your eye out when leaning over the car.

What stupid car have you got where they are always active?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He has a brain James. Not an option for you, sadly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I pour a just boiled kettle on it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thermal shock of boiling water on glass that is at around zero degrees. Don't want to crack my windscreen. Also, I'm not sure whether the rubber of the wiper blades and the surround to the windscreen (between glass and car body) would withstand boiling water.

Reply to
NY

yes. helps get the ice off

I can assure you they all can*, but the water is down at around 20 degrees by the time it reaches them.

*black metal easily reaches 100 degrees in tropical sun.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Experience suggests that it can withstand it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ah, maybe I'm being over-cautious, then. What about water at 100 meeting glass at around 0 - isn't there a risk of the glass cracking? I've heard of people that it has happened to in this situation.

Reply to
NY

Never mind heard, I've seen it happen when a visitor 'proudly' showed us the trick as we were scraping our windscreen clean.

It cost him a new screen - it cost us a few minutes scraping.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Probably 90. I prefer to boil half a kettle, then fill it up from the cold tap. That makes the glass plenty warm enough to stay unfrozen until you've got the car going.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I would still maintain that he was unlucky. An unmentioned benefit of the hot water method is that if you use enough, you warm the glass enough to reduce/eliminate condensation on the inside.

How often do you see folk driving off whilst still trying to wipe mist off the inside? Not just inconvenient but dangerous.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yesterday this mist formed when I'd got 100 yds down thew road.

Reply to
charles

90% of people are forgetful, clever or not.
Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'd rather take the time than the risk - but each to their own.

True - like the people who cannot be bothered to clear snow off car roof and/or bonnet.

Reply to
Mark Allread

I don't. What makes you think that's dangerous? It falls off at some point and you just activate the wipers once.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

snow on the roof is most likely to blow off into the windscreen of the car behind. That is why the Police will stop you and probably fine you.

Reply to
charles