Oven load rating puzzle

Our double oven has just died - it was rubbish from day one, so time for a new one anyway.

Had a look at quite a few replacement candidates that can be had by next week, and all apart from one were rated a 32A max. The one we want is rated at 20A (see near the bottom here

Initially I thought it was a mistake, as all the other similar ones were

32A, but it appears to be correct.

What does it actually mean? I won't be happy if the food will take longer to cook... ;-)

The dead oven was rated 32A, so the RCD is 32A, and the cables are suitable as well, so can I assume that it is just a mater of a quick swap?

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Also here: (near the bottom of page 10 on the right)

JoeJoe

I presume it does the same as any other oevn, ie over 220C, in which case cook time will be much the same.

Lower power implies better insulation - or in principle could just be a much smaller cavity. Ovens are very wasteful.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

steel/p230588045)

Modern ovens (and especially nicer ones like this) tend to be more efficient and better insulated. And it's a fan oven (was the old one?). Also, the manufacturer of teh old one may simply have rounded it up to the next circuit breaker size!

It says its max all-out loading is 4400W, which is a bit under 20 amps. Seems reasonable. (be sure to check for HBM13B251B, not HBN13B251B, which is the single oven).

We have the Logixx, which is the top-of-the-range equivalent, and even that draws less than 24 amps. We have no problems as all with power or speed. Very satisfied with the quality.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Thanks guys for the speedy reply!

Just placed an order (for the double, not the single).

Reply to
JoeJoe

Cavity is actually one of the largest available. Def larger than our previous one.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Why are ovens so expensive? One ought to be able to buy them flat packed fr om China for £99

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Most people wouldn't be able to assemble them, would electrocute themselves or set their houses on fire, and then sue the retailer.

Anyway, as ao.com has single ovens from £130 it's hardly worth getting fl at-pack.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

es or set their houses on fire, and then sue the retailer.

the electrics could be in the top assembled section. Just bolt the cabinet together onto it. I suppose interlock switches would be needed to check the cabinet panels are attached before applying power.

I bet direct from Shenzhen could undercut that

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Most oven elements are in the 2 to 2.5 kW range. So 4.4kW for a pair of them seems reasonable.

Double fan ovens[1] however may have two fan elements as well as a grill one in the top of the oven. Some allow mixed mode cooking using the fan and the grill elements - so you have a potential maximum load with all three on at one time.

[1] Many double ovens have one fan oven, and one conventional oven.

Yup should be fine.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks, it is 1 x fan + 1 x conventional.

Reply to
JoeJoe