OT: fracking bias

Shocking bias here:

  1. Fracking will not change the landscape of the national parks because it won't be allowed there. No surface equipment will be allowed in the national parks.

  1. "Fracking could take place within the UK's national parks". Not true. It will be allowed UNDER not WITHIN. A very important distinction.

  2. The fracking is shown extending upwards to the blue layer, the colour of which strongly suggests it's an aquifer. This doesn't happen.

  1. The graphic shows the fracking as being at a depth approx equal to the height of six trucks, or about 20 metres. In fact it will be a thousand metres deep.

This report is a watered down version of one with even more blatant bias that was only available for a few hours.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Actually Bill, between 1700 and 3000m deep.

Reply to
Woody

It sounds like a c*ck up to me. In any case unless the current price war is settled soon nobody could afford to get shale gas or oil out in this way here in the uk, even on land test borings seem to have been suspended at the moment.

I think what orries people is that the drill goes under things, eg even their homes at deptch. It would be nice to think that the person owned the land in a big tapering slice all the way down to the core and we could charge anyone entering and removing stuff from it. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Which is the case in the US, which is why so many landowners love it.

Reply to
Davey

But we don't, do we? Any more than people do for coal mining. If you want that, move to the US.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Only the NIMBYs worry about it. They think al forms of industry/power generation should take place elsewhere. They are the same ones that whinge about wind turbines. Oh hang on, you're one of them.

Having a coal mine under your house is a far bigger problem.

Reply to
harry

Bill Wright scribbled

She clearly states the drilling will be 1,200 metres deep. Only a nob would expect a cartoon to drawn to exact scale.

Reply to
Jonno

One of the reasons fracking has been so successful in the US... land owners there also own the mineral rights of what is underneath, so there is a potentially huge payback if you agree to your land being used, plus up front money for leasing the extraction rights.

Reply to
John Rumm

I believe that technically you do own the land underneath your house, but not the minerals it contains.

Mineral rights were legislated out so that coal mines could follow seams without needing anybody's permission.

You also own the sky above your house to the top of the atmosphere, but not anything flying in it. So you can't complain about aircraft or balloons, but if somebody wants to run a cable car above your roof, you can seek compensation for trespass.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

haha. we got absolutely attacked by a PR agency for putting a wind turbine next to the local church on the cover of a wind protest leaflket.

They pointed out that it was exaggerating...as it looked three times taller - until we pointed out that, in fact it WAS three times taller...and we had it exactly to scale.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All the land of Britain belongs to the Queen anyway - I forget whether it's down to high tide or low tide. Her Majesty graciously allows some of her subjects to own the 'freehold' on a temporary basis - she can resume full ownership at any time.

Reply to
Max Demian

Being pedantic, it belongs to the Crown not to the queen. It long ago became a convenient legal fiction to prevent landowners feeling free to make their own laws.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Why does the graphic show the fracking affecting the aquifer then? Why doesn't it say NOT TO SCALE on the graphic?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes, years ago we asked this bloke if we could run a cable across his back garden, right at the end. He said no, so we had to put two poles in to skirt round his property, and it looked dreadful.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Bill Wright scribbled

Haven't you been moaning about BBC dumbing down? You can't have it both ways.

Reply to
Jonno

Ha! Good point! Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

"Not to scale" means nothing to the brain dead. And they are theones that wouldn't realise it anyway.

Reply to
harry