Re: O.T. Fracking ...

I sincerely hope that when the power starts to go out, folk remember who

> these people are, and realise that but for them, we'd have enough > electricity and be able to afford to heat our homes. Perhaps they should > be the first ones to lose their power, to give them time to reflect on > why they've got nothing better to do than to interfere on behalf of > people who don't actually give a stuff about their dumb policies. > > Rant over ... >:-\

But it was a splendid rant.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Early days yet re. how much gas there is. There have been some big disapointments elsewhere when they actually started drilling. Also they needed lots more holes than originally thought.

Interesting map shows where the gas might be. The earlier ones showing possible gas fields in the South of England have disappeared. Could it be they don't want to drill in the "leafy suburbs?" Also the gas fields stop at the coast. Could it be they don't want the added expense of off-shore drilling?

I expect the bastards will want to extract it and export it through existing pipelines as quick as possible and make a quick buck. No thought of setting up a soveriegn wealth fund as did Norway with North Sea oil/gas. We should husband it carefully, too precious to fritter away.

We need to cut these people off that don't want wind turbines as well.

Reply to
harryagain

Now calm down, Nuclear is the way to go. actually the fracing or whatever its called is mainly a problem in the states as there is very little regulation. Fly by night companies with naff quality control on their well cladding have set up shop and as many of the curved holes go under other persons land when the cladding leaks the gas can come up and get into the water and has to be removed, and of course they do not stump up for this and hence you get a lot of litigation and chaos. There is also the sad fact that some of the chemicals they use over there are not known to the public as they are considered a trade secret by the company concerned, which means that people only have their word for it that its safe to use at all. Hopefully we need to learn from that and take steps to get it regulated properly and sort out any legal problems of gas leakage into water people use before they start. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Why? there is always enough standby generation to cope with zero wind. Those of us that don't want wind but do want electricity pay for it.

Those that want wind don't even pay for the cost of the wind generation.

Reply to
dennis

Indeed. These are the P90 figures, which means there is a 90% chance of them being right and is the same basis as is used for estimating oil reserves. Overall, oil fields actually produce close to the P50 figure and, if the shale gas fields achieve that, there would be 60% more than estimated.

Mainly, according to the report, because the techniques for estimating were fairly crude to begin with. One reason the figures have gone up i because the techniques have been refined.

The study only looked at one specific area of carboniferous shale, known as the Bowland-Hodder shale, so that is all that is shown on the map of

*this particular study*. However, if you look at the original report, you will see that the Jurassic Weald basin is marked as 'currently being assessed'. Licensed exploration sites are also shown in many parts of the country, with plenty in SE England, one of which is being drilled in West Sussex as we speak.

For the most part, the marine shale fields produce conventional oil instead.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

+1 !!!
Reply to
newshound

Ditto! (With knobs on, if it were British firms building it .... but it f. well wouldn't be!)

No way! The whole fracking scenario stinks to high heaven, can't you see that? It stinks of get-rich-quick merchants (including many politicians), who have not a scintilla of interest in this country, nor in the environment, nor in any possible consequences in a few years time (when things will have to "fixed"). The fracking industry has been created, and is run by, super-national corporations and similar, much murkier, entities.

Ditto. Why hasn't any effort been devoted to running coal-fired power stations in a clean way? I hear that "we" are [irretrievably] disabling the coal burning capacities in favour of "bio-mass"[1] fuel ... which will have to be imported at unbelievable expense, and which itself has massive effect on the environment.

John

[1] Oooh!! It's got a "bio-" in it!! It _must_ be environmentally friendly!! PAH!
Reply to
Another John

It will likely occur here too unless the government is careful about who and how they allow fracking to go ahead.

Interesting that considering it is only restricted prospecting trials at present I have seen some of the kit and more of the chemicals on road transport in the UK recently. It would undoubtedly lower the price of gas if it came onstream, but we also need some more nuclear power stations in the longer term if the lights are to stay on.

I suspect that the UK being so built up compared to the USA will result in some considerable pain and suffering for the neighbours as cack handed smash and grab raids occur to get the easy gas, bank the profits offshore and leave the mess for someone else to clean up afterwards.

Reply to
Martin Brown

On Tuesday 02 July 2013 10:19 Arfa Daily wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes... Between the threat of lights out and the government spying the arse out of *everyone* (PRISM, ANPR, CCTV etc) it's starting to feel like a banana republic. Still have food so not quite there yet...

I half expect Mission Impossible to sneak in, topple the government and install a benign leader.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Here, have a glass of biocide, it's natural, and has "bio" in it. :)

JGH

Reply to
jgh

">>

This is not new technology, it has been done for forty years and before that explosives were used.

It's not just the case of a couple of holes in the ground, it's a case of thousands with ample scope for cockups. Hundreds of miles of pipelines and roads, ponds of poisonous chemicals vast amounts of borings to get rid of. Tanker and truck traffic and new refineries.

We are all being sold a bunch of propaganda. Also a plot to keep all this activity oop North.

harryagain

Like with wuindfarms and solar panels?

Nurse! More chlorpromazine...the paranoia level....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why is it that the UK just nibbles around the edges of flakey energy technology - whirligigs, solar panels, wave machines and so on, instead of serious nuclear stuff etc? In the days of coal there were lots of serious power stations (and indeed gas-works). We seem to have lost the plot these days.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On 02/07/2013 19:36, harryagain wrote: ...

That is where the largest, most productive fields are, just as the largest onshore oil field in western Europe is down South. However, as I have already pointed out, the southern shale fields are currently being actively explored. Not that you have ever been somebody to allow facts to get in the way of your opinions.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Because people have been stupid enough to bvote labour liberal democrat and tory it seems.

And they all just like poncing around being important, not doing hard work

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well you find something to refute it. Similar things happened in the coal fields in this country but at least the mineheads were few and far between. And coal wasn't taken from beneath existing buildings.

Clearly you haven't looked into whats involved in this technology. You you suppose someone waves a magic wand and the holes appear?

How do you suppose they get the gas from the well? In buckets?

How do you suppose they get the fracking fluids in/out? What do suppose happens to it when it's been used? What happens to the hundreds of tons of borings from the wells?

The wells are soon depleted and have to be constantly replaced.

And finally, there may not be commercial amounts of gas.

It's the sort of stuff they won't want in the the "Leafy Suburbs".

You really are in cloud cuckoo land. Credulous is the word. Why don't you do some research.

Reply to
harryagain

Err....

JGH