OT: Why do cars slope inwards at the sides?

Are car manufacturers trying to make people go on a diet or something? Why do modern cars slope inwards at the sides, giving you less shoulder room? And then they have huge centre consoles so you have no leg room. What's the point in buying a car that's big on the outside and small on the inside?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I see you don't know the answer then.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Correct.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Prick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I suspect that a lot of the inverse tardis effect is due to safety requirements.

My old 1970s Cortina was fairly small by today's standards, but had great visibility with thin A-pillars, and felt spacious inside. I've been in lots of much larger modern cars that feel claustrophobic inside, with lousy visibility.

Reply to
Caecilius

I think it makes them come out of the mould easier.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Not sure how adding a huge centre console and sloping the top half of the sides in helps that. Sure, they will have added side impact bars and airbags, but those don't mean the windows have to slope in.

As for visibility, the health and softy folk are shooting themselves in the foot by adding thicker pillars. So it's safer if you crash, but more likely you will!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That's stating the bleedin' obvious. :-)

He's been in my killfile for quite some time now (and I'm rather choosy about who I allow into my kill file. :-)

Anyhow, just checking whether Pan has turned this follow up into a new thread.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

If he's in your killfile, then it's broken, as you just saw his post. Fuckwit.

Reply to
Kim Smith

Do you sit sideways?

To impress the neighbors.

Reply to
micky

If you don't want to go on a diet, Ford makes vehicles for obese people.

Chubbs

Diet doesn't tend to make very much difference to your width at the shoulders though.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Maybe a Kenworth then?

Reply to
Willy

I'd imagine there are several reasons. Firstly there are safety gear, like airbags, then there is the undoubted fact that styling sells cars. If it looks good on the outside often it sells well. The increasing complexity of the controls and other operations means moor bells and whistles etc. However not being a driver but being often a passenger I too wonder about the apparent paradox of having air bages all over the place low down, but then making the upper part so low and narrow that any large deceleration or sideways knock results in a head window impact!.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No, I suspect though that even if we really knew that answer, see my previous post, Our razor blade friend would not be satisfied either. What is the point of buying a house with a garage that is so narrow that cars cannot get in or if they do the driver cannot get out? Take a look around at houses built in the 1960s to about 1980, and you will find most are too narrow and are thus used as a very big 'for now' cupboard. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They also make a smaller one, grand connect tourneo, having one delivered on thursday.

No I am not obese.

Reply to
dennis

Cars tend to have curtain air bags that stop your head hitting the sides these days. They pop down from the head lining while the side impact ones pop out from the seat sides.

Reply to
dennis

What's wider, your waist or your shoulders?

No, because it looks like cheap shit.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I could get my car into mine (1979 house). But then I removed the garage door, built a wall, and fitted double glazing, ceiling and wall insulation, central heating and lighting. It's now a room.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I wonder how many people are killed by 15 explosive bags appearing all around them at once.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword