Re charger help, electronics, Update

Managed to get both chargers working courtesey of this NG.

Charger 1 required a new fuse holder & fuse, old fuse holder wasnt giving continuity.

Charger 2 replaced the faulty diode as advised and now working, stopped blowing fuses now.

I put both on the mobile scooter for a couple of hours each and no problems.

I initially thought my odds were very low to get any of them working due to lack of electronic knowledge, so pleased they are now both working.

Thanks all.

Reply to
ss

Cool. ;-)

Gdgd. Coincidentally I lifted the two brand new batteries out of what was Dads scooter (that Mum is now hanging onto for a visiting oldie and herself in the future) and the first one I've put on the Optimate2 doesn't look very good. Had I been able to get a mating connector for the plug on the battery case I'd have put them on two chargers and a monthly charge up before now. ;-(

Well done for both doing it and not giving up on the one that was in the bin. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well done; a pleasing outcome.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I just got a "battery desulphator" to have a play with some knackered wheelchair batteries - will be interesting to see if it has any effect at all.

Reply to
Rob Morley

excellent

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And I would be interested to hear as well Rob. ;-)

I put the Optimate 2 on one of the 2 x 12V 22Ah gel batteries and I also stuck one of the basic Aldi battery condition meters (an LED voltmeter).

It's currently going between all LEDs off (sub 11.5V I think) to all LEDs on (>15V) as I think the charger is pulse charging the battery as a form of de sulphation phase?

I may put the Optimate4 on the other battery as I think it's a bit more sophisticated (and that battery is reading about 3.5V so I don't have much hope for either of them).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You're welcome. It's odd how the Law of Sod works in so many mysterious ways. You can be thankful that the diode sacrificed itself to save the rest of the HT module from harm. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

That's great.

Good feeling innit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes the rectifier diodes issue unfortunately is all too common due to the mean-ness of manufacturers to use components that can stand the surge currents involved at switch on. Fuseholders, well many are pone to corrosion as they are often just crimped together between the springy holder bit and the pins that go in the board. I've even come across actual fuses that look intact but the internal connections have corroded making it an insulator most of the time. The other vulnerable piece is often the plugs on the end of the wire that go into the devices being charged. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Excellent, I award you a UK.D-I-Y gold star!

Reply to
newshound