OT: Why do cars slope inwards at the sides?

dennis@home brought next idea :

Got all of those, plus A pillor ones. I dread what might happen were they to ever all fire..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Apparently they can kill you if (like me) you don't wear a seat belt. But then I tend not to crash. Maybe I should disconnect them all?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The computer won't fire them all at once and may not fire some of them at all. Side impact bags aren't much use in a front end crash and front airbags aren't much use in a roll over or side impact.

Reply to
dennis

I thought they fired directly from their own sensors, incase of computer failure? Mind you, the sensors would probably not all trigger at once due to needing different directions of impact.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

When you side-swipe pedestrians the sloping sides mean that they fly over the top of the car rather than damaging the roof.

Reply to
alan_m

How often does that happen?!

Reply to