OT - What will be completely unacceptable in 100 years - or even 50

Indeed. There was about 4 - 10 times the amount of atmospheric CO2, and it was a degree or two warmer than today ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Carbon dating doesn't work back more than 50,000 years. Long after the Carboniferous.

Reply to
Max Demian

There are others way to date back to that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why assume that the profits are a rip-off? Are you a commie?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Coal is free. It's in the ground. Same as the wind is free. It's just that there are costs in using both.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I was eleven and I remember this clearly.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

That's interesting. So was there no coal allowance for agricultural vehicles?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Very clever snipping my post so it fits in with whatever agenda you happen to have at the moment.

Interesting the way you think anything in the ground (like coal) is free. Are you some sort of commie?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The steam traction engine belonged to the neighbours with the threshing drum. They chose not to bring much coal with them.

Father had a spike wheeled TVO/petrol tractor which may have been allocated by the *war ag. committee* as was a wheeled fertiliser spreader.

Different days. Cross field Public rights of way were diverted to field margins. Didn't go back until around 1950:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It's a completely stupid conclusion. No wonder it came from you.

Reply to
tabbypurr

In article snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

Local farmer had one of those - Standard Fordson. One pedal for brake and clutch.

Reply to
bert

In message snipped-for-privacy@ghcq.uk, bert snipped-for-privacy@bert.bert.com> writes

Job for us kids was to move the tractor/trailer to the next group of corn stooks. Normally the horse would have done this on command. We weren't strong/heavy enough to change gear so had to stand on the clutch/brake pedal while the trailer was loaded. Can't have done the carbon clutch release bearing much good!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Googles corn stooks - 'nother thing learned.

Reply to
Richard

6-8 sheaves to a stook on this land. Oats might be cut green and left in the field to finish ripening.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

In article <9aHElqB+ snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

Likewise with a little grey Fergie.

Reply to
bert

In article <I+ snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

Most of the farm machinery at that time was originally horse drawn but with traces replaced with a drawbar for tractor use and long ropes to enable the driver to operate the control levers. Machinery driven from the ground wheels. Then along came the power take off and hydraulic lift.

Reply to
bert