OT - What will be completely unacceptable in 100 years - or even 50

But it does have cities with much of the population lacking off street parking so presumably they do have the same problems, but it?s a proportionally smaller problem than ours.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Indeed. It?s only because I?m retired and have a bus pass that I ever use the bus myself (for leisure purposes only). I?d hate to have to rely on the current service to get around all the time.

Quite how the charging problems for those without off street parking will be solved I don?t know but it will probably require a change in our expectations and behaviour.

We?re used to not really having to plan ahead when it comes to refuelling. With EVs you do have to think a bit about your travel and charging plans. It?s a different mindset.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Buses ate the best way to spread Cvid 19. Yes, use the bus, Tim+. Please.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Done so twice the in the last week. Much less crowded than supermarkets.

4 passengers on the bus first time, 5 the second (including ourselves). I don?t think the risk was that great.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Seems that most who live in the sticks wouldn't dream of using a bus - even when there is a service. Like most, they use a car where convenient. I live in London where PT is generally pretty good. But the idea it is the most convenient way for every journey, nonsense.

For example. My closest Wickes is 10 minutes by car. On two buses, being across town as it were, could take an hour or more at worst. With a fair walk at one end - not ideal with building materials. If they'd even let you on the bus with a bundle of copper tube at 3 metres long.

When working, I could do the journey to Teddington in about the same time by train or car in rush hour. But working in TV rarely finished work in time for the rush hour back. And travelling home at 11pm on a Sunday by PT could take 3 times as long - if indeed always possible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Most people buying a diesel car did so because of the so-called 'economy' of an oil burner, without considering the downsides. I wonder how many of them only do a low to normal mileage anyway which means they have made no savings at all.

Reply to
Andrew

Norway pays out some not-to-be-missed bribes to EV car owners.

Reply to
Andrew

except that the scientific evodence is that public travel does not contribute to the spread. Cramming into pubs, clubs and gyms does.

Reply to
Andrew

That's what home deliveries are for though. Another 'mindset' that some people have to adjust to.

Reply to
Andrew

All that does is hide some of the apparent cost. It doesn't in fact reduce it; subsidies never do.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It was fairly clear a couple of week's ago that public transport DID create a serious risk.

Reply to
charles

Wickes have a minumum £70 delivery order.

Reply to
charles

And my local one is pretty quiet mid day. No problem with social distancing. And gets me out of the house.

Problem with deliveries is few give you a reasonable window for the delivery time. And if not, usually attempted when I'm out for my walk.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Quite.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I don?t think you can lump all public transport together. Around my area, it?s rare to see a bus with more than 3 or 4 people on board. I imagine the situation might be very different in major cities. Consequently I think it?s unlikely that ALL bus journeys are equally risky.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

< remorseless snippage throughout >

No that's whats so fascinating about the whole thing really. It's so unexpected that a large animal like a horse could even taste a small thing like a polo mint never mind being almost addicted to the things

- to the taste of mint at least. That and the question as to how they ever came to aquire such a taste and what possible survival value it could possibly have. Possibly as with cats and catmint they may have come across mint growing wild, but more likely its simply a co-incidence with the minty taste closely resembling some essential mineral or other which they seek out in their food.

Anyway there's no harm in them, as plenty of horsey people give their horses polos as well.

< yet more remorseless snippage >

This gets to the heart of the matter really. So that everything that happens in the world where there is no human intervention is "natural" it represents the "natural world". But somehow humans aren't "natural" as well.

Is that what you're claiming ?

But even if you want to suggest that humans alone are capable of making choices and being held responsible for their actions ( regardless of any evidence to the contrary ) aren't they still just as much part of the "natural world" as is everything else ?

< yet even more >

michael adams

michael adams

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 18:12:10 +0100, "michael adams" snipped-for-privacy@ukonline.co.uk> wrote: <snip>

Is that what you think I'm claiming, seriously?

Surely it's the other way round ... they should be responsible for their actions themselves, not have to be held to it ... or do you think say murdering someone is ok, as long as you get away with it?

Not sure what you are eluding to but any way you care to look at it, 'man' is not equipped to kill, at least much more than things much smaller / weaker than us or using technical advantages (like guns).

Give a young child an apple and a hen and it will eat the apple and play with the hen.

Yes, until they act unnaturally within it. You would have thought our supposedly 'superior intellect would have allowed us to understand and respect the only place we all have to share, not shit all over it.

And with great power (even if only gained unnaturally) comes great responsibility, a we should be looking after the weaker animals, not artificially breeding, enslaving, torturing (mental cruelty), exploiting them for things that were never there for us in the first place (baby cow milk) and killing them to eat, just because we like how they taste.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No political party actually cares about the working class, especially the Greens. No doubt the fact that car ownership will become difficult or impossible for these people will be regarded as 'collateral damage' in the 'fight against climate change'. In fact I suspect that getting the lower orders out of their cars and onto public transport or shank's pony is seen by many of the elite as a good thing.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

That's because it takes five minutes and not all night.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

A bit awkward for the self-employed tradesman to get his ladders and tools on the bus. But there again, when has the elite ever cared about us?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright