OT - What will be completely unacceptable in 100 years - or even 50

It was repeated by quite a few politicians round the world. Who presumably agreed with it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Quite. Lots of services are paid for without taking direct account of how much they are used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

A politician doesn?t have to agree with someone to repeat it. They only need to believe that it will keep them (or get them) in power. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

At the time the electricity supplu was nationalised. So nobody to make a profit.

Reply to
charles

Seems either/both vegetation or/and animals. I would hazard ANYTHING with Carbon in it can be metamorphosed (given time , the millions of years ) into fuels . Saying oil is from dead dinosaurs is a bit tongue in cheek but true(ish). The main takeaway is given the time scale fossil fuels are not regarded as renewable.

Reply to
soup

you cant ruin the efficiency of renewable power any more than it is ruined to start with

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, oil is some sort of water plnat I think..

"petroleum is formed when large quantities of dead organisms, mostly zooplankton and algae, are buried underneath sedimentary rock and subjected to both intense heat and pressure."

windmills just reproduce by seed don't they?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You know, I think you can...

Using it to make liquid fuels would be a good way to do it...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The 'version' taught to children is:-

Oil ~ Marine organisms Coal ~ Vegetation

soup

well of course only an idiot would think of using it to charge cars, or make hydrogen with. That's why I always suggested nuclear power There is so much energy available efficiency doesn't matter much.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And hot on the heels of that we have ... Sizewell C. Not a moment too soon.

The BBC article on this was actually sensible, hard though this may be to believe.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Has it been built, then? How many announcements have we had in the past about new nuclear power stations that haven't happened?

But I'd guess being a good Tory you believe every word they utter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I am hoping against hope that this government seeing the total financial disaster that Covid has made of Rolls Royce, will inject obscene amounts of cash for a major shareholding and force them into better gas turbines for electricity generation and small modular reactors as well.

We have no hope of deploying as many reactors as we will need without having a factory assembled type approved design that can be rolled out in quantity, and Rolls Royce is the only UK company with the engineering nous and discipline to develop one.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I never said that farmers not using winch systems was due to stupidity, it was you that brought that idea up.

I suppose if nothing else it demonstrates your thinking deficiencies.

Reply to
tabbypurr

which part of 'we don't know' did you miss?

Reply to
tabbypurr

no-one in the business ever did. It was marketing bs. Nuke power was wanted to produce weapon material, public acceptance was needed. It's odd how many seem to take that comment at face value.

Reply to
tabbypurr

or they can agree that the tech needed to be used to produce weapons, not because free leccy had any part in it. The first nuke power plant reactors were in fact hopeless at generating eleccy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

As schoolkids we were taught it's dinos etc. Reality is we don't know what the formation timescale is.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It was the only possible conclusion that any reasonable person could draw from your two statements

" the heavy weight of steam tractors was a real problem, it compacted the ground"

And yet despite this

"mostly they did not use winching*

More especially as a prominent feature of ploughing engines is the winch underneath the boiler. As noted in the link. Are you seriously suggesting that they didn't realise what this was for ?

If you do actually have any real expertise in any DIY area, which you may understandably wish to share with other people, then I can only suggest that in order to retain at least some semblance of credibility, you resist the obvious temptation to post the sort of absolute bollocks which you posted above.

You know it makes sense.

michael adams

michael adams

Um, I?m pretty sure that we DO know that they?re not renewing at an economic rate. Conditions now are very different from the Carboniferous period when oil and coal were formed.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+