OT: What car is this?

Enterprise Car Rental, according to the Beeb. Apparently they saw the number plate and checked.
On 23/03/17 10:01, Nightjar wrote:

Probably a Green then.
All evil is down to Climate change and 4x4s
..I'd spend it on drink.

What some 'left brainers' don't understand about 'right brainers' is they can reflect the 'spirit' of something without intending it to be factual.
So, if in the eye of the beholder they felt it was a 'substantial vehicle' and not just a small / town car, one way many people (mostly right brainers of course <g>) would use is to suggest it might be a 4x4 ... eg, it wasn't a small car or even standard saloon. A left brainer wouldn't attempt to guess if the vehicle was a 4x4 or not nor see why the thought might help paint a picture to others (all be it technically incorrect). In the same way saying they 'felt it was the size / weight / strength' (afa the potential damaged caused to pedestrians / other - smaller vehicles was concerned) of a 4x4 would mean it wasn't a big as a van, lorry or bus.
This wouldn't be the same as someone with their car stuck in the mud suggesting 'we need a 4x4' because in that case it's not the mass or size of the vehicle that is the spirit of the comment but the point hat it has 4 driven wheels and therefore better traction in those circumstances.
Cheers, T i m

Many people seem to use 4x4 to refer to anything that looks large and chunky or a SUV etc. Quite possibly without even understanding the significance of the term.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 23/03/17 11:50, John Rumm wrote:

its not large or chunky though. Its a bog standard mid range estate car
..I'd spend it on drink.

I am not convinced that is a normal i40 estate though...
The model pictured looks like one of the "crossover" styled ones - quite a tall vehicle and not the normal estate version AFAICT. Compare it with the adjacent people standing by (its nearly as tall as them), and the Black Nissan Nevara pickup on the road behind it.
Look at a side view:
http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/galleries/x701/227600.jpg
That looks more like a Toucson (or whatever the UK badged version of that is called now) to me:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/tucson/92159/hyundai-tucson-review-pictures#1
--
Cheers,

John.
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:50:50 +0000, John Rumm

Great minds John ... (as I was typing as you were). ;-)
Continuing on the 'aren't people funny' theme ... isn't it funny (well, I think it is) how 'some people' only seem to see take things literally ... they can't seem to get the 'spirit' behind such comments?
Like me and Linux. Because I have no issues with Microsoft (I'm not a fan either etc) and along with 80% of the desktop PC using population, find that it does what we want most of the time and does so easily (*because* it's the most common desktop OS and so people write stuff and make stuff specifically for it first) so we don't look for anything else.
However, those of us who might *also* be interested in other OS's (for loads of reasons) and put our heads above the parapet ... and if then we report honestly what *our* experiences are of it, we are questioned as to our motives by those who often do have issues with the likes of MS (or Apple) and so who *do* have a specific cause / axe to grind. ;-(
Further, (often) the people who have specifically chosen Linux as their default or even 'only' desktop OS are then even more defensive of *their* choice, when the vast majority really couldn't GAF.
As and aside and in spite of the thoughts and comments of those who are often unable to differentiate between someone who has a negative feeling about something versus just has a preference for something else (often because they find it easier to use / more compatible etc), is I continue to recommend / introduce Linux to anyone I feel might be able to make use of it (even if only as a live OS / tool). Ironically, I'm still introducing, installing and using Linux in spite of those who you would think would be keen to support anyone doing such? [1]
Cheers, T i m
p.s. Is there a bootable tool that will allow one to easily reset a Linux users password (as there are for Windows and often Linux based)? I ask because the Mrs started having issues with her 'Words with Friends' game though Facebook on her default OS, W7 but it works fine on both XP and Mint 17 on her same PC (triple boot). I needed to update Mint manually (no auto update option) but couldn't remember the password and it took probably 10 goes to translate the 'you just have to add rw init=/bin/bash to GRUB' tip into something that actually worked. ;-(
[1] I helped a neighbour change the handle on her DG widow the other day. She had located the replacement (checking the key fittings / screw spacing's were likely to be compatible) but just needed a square section steel bar cut down and so I offered to do so using a vice and hacksaw. When I returned she asked me how I had done it to confirm that she couldn't have done it herself (with similar tools). I said I was very happy to help, specifically as she had shown an interest herself. However, I would also have helped if she had just asked for me to look from scratch, as a 'good neighbour'. ;-)

Just an error.
It could also be false plates.
If some was about to launch such an attack, may be the idea of false plates would seem like a good idea.

I already told you, the vehicle was from Enterprise Rentacar.
"Tim Streater" wrote in message wrote:

Hard work sometimes. Wonder if he paid the congestion charge?
On 23/03/17 14:50, Tim Streater wrote:

Oh, the one that features 'american standards of service'?
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in message wrote:

That explains driving on the pavement.

No, the one in Birmingham. And what the car was was already printed in the Times this morning.
--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you
bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    Yes, and doesn't open on Sundays!

Don’t see the point in false plates on a rental car.
On 23/03/17 13:50, Brian Reay wrote:

if you intend to die, why bother?

Probably a bad idea, false plates likely flagged up by APNR as suspicious, a rental car is pretty anonymous until right up untill something happens.

--
djc

True, the lights are wrong for that.

Certainly looks like it.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Hyundai_i40_Kombi_1.7_CRDi_Style_%E2%80%93_Heckansicht%2C_1._Juni_2013%2C_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg

Nope, the lights just below the back window at the sides are completely different.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I read elsewhere that it's a Hyundai, the badge seems to be right, no match of the reg EX66 RWG(?) in any of the DVLA websites I can find though.