OT: What car is this?

On Sky they said (totally gratuitously) that it was a 4x4.

I don't recognise it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Looks like a Ford Kuga. I can just about see the Ford badge.

7NICFeOg7QodSKsE0A
Reply to
harry

Definitely not a Kuga, I think it has been reported as a Hyundai i40.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Looks about right, but that isn't a 4x4 us it?

Why would they lie - intentionally or otherwise - about such an irrelevant issue?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One of the eye witnesses on the bridge said it was a 4x4.

Reply to
Nightjar

Don't some of these fairly chunky cars come both 2wd and 4wd, eg Nissan Juke?

You could check MOTinfo or Askmid against the number plate if particularly interested.

Reply to
GB

I read the reg plate as EX?6 RWG. Anyone checked if it is taxed and insured?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I think it's a bit young for MoT :) And there's no need to lie to Askmid when you can just plug the reg. into most online retailers of car parts to get

HYUNDAI I40 CRDI SE NAV BUSINESS BLUE DRIVE 1685cc DIESEL, 4 Door SALOON

Reply to
Robin

Does the MOTinfo site only show cars when they are 3 years old? I did wonder when I posted that.

If it's a hire car, it probably won't come up on Askmid.

Full marks, though, for looking on a car parts retailers.

Reply to
GB

lt was reported as a 'rental car' so presumably was both.

Reply to
Ash Burton

Probably a Green then.

All evil is down to Climate change and 4x4s

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes, but this one doesn't.

Never thought of that. They didn't obscure it did they?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

About to see a surge in sales in bradford and birmingham ;-)

Also noted on I think sky news was a woman recalling events...in completely the wrong order. Shots first, then car crash...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Enterprise Car Rental, according to the Beeb. Apparently they saw the number plate and checked.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I read elsewhere that it's a Hyundai, the badge seems to be right, no match of the reg EX66 RWG(?) in any of the DVLA websites I can find though.

Reply to
Andy Burns

not from that pic you can't

tim

Reply to
tim...

maybe it's RWO, that with hyundai matches on vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk

Reply to
Andy Burns

Many people seem to use 4x4 to refer to anything that looks large and chunky or a SUV etc. Quite possibly without even understanding the significance of the term.

Reply to
John Rumm

its not large or chunky though. Its a bog standard mid range estate car

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What some 'left brainers' don't understand about 'right brainers' is they can reflect the 'spirit' of something without intending it to be factual.

So, if in the eye of the beholder they felt it was a 'substantial vehicle' and not just a small / town car, one way many people (mostly right brainers of course ) would use is to suggest it might be a

4x4 ... eg, it wasn't a small car or even standard saloon. A left brainer wouldn't attempt to guess if the vehicle was a 4x4 or not nor see why the thought might help paint a picture to others (all be it technically incorrect). In the same way saying they 'felt it was the size / weight / strength' (afa the potential damaged caused to pedestrians / other - smaller vehicles was concerned) of a 4x4 would mean it wasn't a big as a van, lorry or bus.

This wouldn't be the same as someone with their car stuck in the mud suggesting 'we need a 4x4' because in that case it's not the mass or size of the vehicle that is the spirit of the comment but the point hat it has 4 driven wheels and therefore better traction in those circumstances.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m