OT; Weird

Tried sending some emails and get the following error message;

"An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: know-smtpout-4.server.virginmedia.net: Too many concurrent SMTP connections; please try again later".

I click OK and this appears;

"Sending of message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.blueyonder.co.uk was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again or contact your network administrator".

Any idea whats going on?

I can post to newsgroups OK.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Your machine could be infected with malware using your connection for = spamming folk. Might just be a temporary glitch though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Just had the same thing.

The message sent on the 3rd attempt.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

VM have possibly caught up with:

Service Disruption

problems sending emails

Reported on: Mon 30 Jan 2012, 07:57 PM Estimated fix time: Mon 30 Jan 2012, 11:46 PM Fault reference: F001874803

Reply to
Robin

What it says. Their mail server is borked.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Google taking on more than they can chew? VirginMedia/Blueyonder/NTL outsource their email handling to google. A couple of mailing lists I belong to have just had 'orrible problems with subscribers with those ISPs. The published MX machines would accept the posts echoing back to te orginator via the list then quietly drop it on the floor never to be seen again...

The first error is slightly worrying as others have said it could be down to an infection of some sort using your machine 'net connection to send loads of spam. If you can see how active outgoing data is when, in theory, nothing is using the internet it should be easy to spot. Failing that run a full virus and malware scan just to be sure.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well I can tell you what one of their tech told me about this one. Basically the server is stuck and thinks its still connected, but you know you are not, so you come in again, and again, and then it says, hang on, this bloke is connecting too many times. the basic issue has to be their end. It usually clears after a while I find. Have you tried using Imap?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You cannot do mega spamming from Virgin/google servers as they restrict the number of emails you can send in a given time as far as I know. Its greylisting I think. However if enough people are connected to one port it will give that error, and it usually does clear. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

For sending?

Reply to
Andy Burns

All the e mails have now been sent as if nothing had happened.

I hate bloody computers...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

blueyonder is overwhelmed with sadness or spam and cant bear to talk about it right now.

They are not posted to blueyonder.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Stop trying to scare the lad, there is nothing in that message to indicate he has a problem his end (other than the choice of ISP).

Reply to
dennis