OT (Very) Chicken in a Basket

They are generally ok, though we do prefer Premier Inn if available, and if the price is competitive. Though it's bit of a standing joke in our family that they never get the beds right (we are normally a family of 4, and they invariably don't do the kids beds, or only do one, or don't have all the bedding etc. :-) Invariably find the staff friendly and helpful.

We do have breakfast normally, it's not great but it's ok, and the kids like it, and even our awkward younger one will eat. And kids are free, so where else can you get an all you can eat breakfast for 4 for about £15?

My wife soemtimes stays in poshish places when at conferences. One she was at didn't have a kettle. Butt hen she found out they had them, but you just had to ask. Another one, they supplied free tea and coffee for the rooms she was in (though she didn't realise at first)

Reply to
chris French

Washed down with a bottle of Hirondelle?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Liebfraumilch.

Reply to
Bob Eager

LOL, will do!

Reply to
Huge

"It had a loyal and regular following ..."

Including, in the 70's, my wife and I.

Reply to
Huge

Put it in a ziplok bag in your washing kit.

I stay in a Premier Inn in Sheffield regularly. It's a perfectly acceptable hotel.

Reply to
Huge

After the Wushi Hotel in Xian, China, sleeping in a cave would be nice. The carpets were saturated with raw sewage. We slept in chairs in the lobby.

Reply to
Huge

Umm, no. The whole point is that everything, although a Berni by description, is as nice as it is possible to make it. Twice cooked chips, Tournedos Rossini, Heston Blumenthal's gateau and so on. So we have *nice* wine.

Reply to
Huge

Blue Nun/Black Tower.

(Which to my astonishment, you can still buy.)

Reply to
Huge

Did that (sleeping in a cave, I mean) in Coober Pedy

Andrew May

You buy a soap box: buy it at Boots - for instance/ I've used one for years since I tend to be allergic to the cheap and nasties provided by some hotels.

Reply to
charles

Yes, but they're *nice* caves!

Reply to
Huge

I used to go there in the (very) early 80s because they took Luncheon Vouchers. The firm I then worked for gave us around 60p in LVs per day - nice of them, but not much use in practice. I saved up enough to take the Wife to a Berni now & again & paid the bill with hundreds of the things. I remember tipping generously - but can't remember if it was in cash or LVs.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

On 08/11/2013 15:45, Sam Plusnet wrote: ...

Four times the tax free allowance though, which I note was scrapped this year.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Blimey, now you mention it, we used to do the same. I'd completely forgotten about LVs! Wonder what happened to them?

[Google]

Abolished at the beginning of the 2013 tax year!!!!

Reply to
Huge

+1 When I went to the states I stayed in a motel with 1200 rooms and mine had a full kitchen en suite.

The one downside was the miles of corridors all fitted with nylon carpets. Judging by the size of spark when I touched the door handle I must have been fully charged every time I went back to my room.

Reply to
alan

Better than Wimpy where ordering from the photos of the menu showing a oval steak plate full food resulted in an miniature plate with the under-size portions barely covering the surface.

Reply to
alan

Chelmsford used have pubs that opened early morning on market days. From my ageing memory, I think they had to close in the afternoon and evening on the days they opened in the morning.

Reply to
alan

On Friday 08 November 2013 18:17 alan wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ah - WIMPY in Sutton - my first burger.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not your first Bender? :-)