OT (Very) Chicken in a Basket

My wife has got involved in a 1960's party and has been volunteered to prepare Chicken in a Basket (and to take a Dansette). We are struggling to agree how the chicken was typically presented. Was it in breadcrumbs; in its skin; or as a roasted leg or breast without skin? any suggestions?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

You may have problems sourcing the tacky plastic imitation woven baskets. Offer to do another 1960s invention instead. The original Watneys Brewery recipe for ploughman's lunch was a chunk of farmhouse bread, a lump of cheddar cheese, butter in a foil wrapper and a couple of pickled onions. None of the bits of green stuff, Branston's pickle, or other fancy additions you see these days.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

You have just described what was my staple lunchtime diet for a few years. Happy memories, I'm feeling hungry now, thanks!!

Reply to
Bill

It was half a chicken breast or a thigh with about ten chips and a piece of lettuce maybe a couple of slices of tomato if the pub was posh. A sachet of mayonnaise or sauce and a knife and fork in a serviette.

The basket was about the size of a strawberry punnet. IIRC it came on a paper plate for a tray. The chips were usually Macains oven cooked but sometimes the cook actually cared.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Is my memory playing tricks or was there often a red-checked paper napkin lining the basket?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Oven chips, in the UK, in the 60's?

As for the baskets:

Though that example seems quite large at 9 x 6", memory would put the basket at 6 x 4". That is about the size to take a deep fried, without crumbs, in skin, chicken leg.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They regularly appear in Aldi's weekly specials. Not sure exactly when.

Reply to
mike

Chris Hogg

mike wrote in news:7f9a2da1-4b33-4b0f-9f85- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Aldi had wheelbarrow wheels last week - so maybe baskets soon! She has sourced some on EBay.

DerbyBorn

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Chris Hogg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Many of the ideas she has seen we do not believe were really typical - but chef's modern updates.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

With a pint of Red Barrel?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

There was always something to soak up the grease.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Usually red & white - yes, I am sure that the general system was deep fried chicken skin on - no breading/batter etc. and chips - also deep fried, with ... I don't remember if there were peas as a veg or not ...

HTH

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

Party 7 required for authenticity.

Reply to
Onetap

Refillable from the urinal.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Thursday 07 November 2013 10:00 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Oh god - I'm getting flashbacks of poor qwuality food and service from Little Chef and Crappy Eater(TM,RIP) in the 70's!

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 07 November 2013 10:13 The Nomad wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Deep fried peas?

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 07 November 2013 11:50 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In 2040 everyone's going to look back and laugh about stuff we do/eat now.

Wonder what will be the most ridiculed?

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 07 November 2013 11:50 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

One new keyboard!

Reply to
Tim Watts

John Williamson