OT: Speeding yobs!

To bring the average speed below the limit?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You can also phone the police up and ask them where mobile cameras are to be sited on that day. They are obliged to tell you.

Radio Shropshire do this and give the locations over the radio

Reply to
geoff

A big cardboard box, yellow paint and some lenses made from plastic sheet in fairy liquid bottles, mounted on a pole, in a garden, as was done by someone down this way, almost nothing.....

Reply to
Badger

What happened?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Badger writes

Isn't Blue Peter wonderful

Reply to
geoff

I make it at least three then. Yes, you`re included in my figures.

On a practical level, its only the initial cost of the system infrastructure that I think would be the downfall.

- but you know your kids are safe, and you probably get to your destination just as quickly as you would if all the parents drove their kids to school increasing the amount of traffic on the road.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

On Fri, 28 May 2004 22:32:48 +0100, geoff strung together this:

Hmm, if only I was old enough to listen to Radio Shropshire!

Reply to
Lurch

On Fri, 28 May 2004 22:56:42 +0100, Andy Hall strung together this:

He should have recieved a hefty fine and a prison sentence.

Reply to
Lurch

Last report I saw was that Winchester shity counsil was looking at a planning enforcement order to have it removed, it had more effect than the traffic calming (that caused bottle necks and speeding between pinch/clash points), the speed camera partnership wern't too happy either....They also got funny about another resident on the same road wearing a fluori jacket holding a hair dryer in a threatening way too!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

The only road that can be a bit hard to define is "built up", which AFAICT from a quick look in the Highway Code, really means "illuminated". So how far does the 30mph limit extend from a single street light for three houses otherwise surrounded by fields?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hopefully.

Reply to
Huge

Yeah, right. Locations like "in Shropshire".

Reply to
Huge

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

What's the problem? Most bike riders have a degree of self-preservation and the ones that don't are soon out of the game anyway. You'll find that the vast majority of those who do terminate themselves through stupidity / misjudgement / bad luck don't take anyone else with them in the process.

As above. Personally, I'd have grabbed the mutton chops.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Well the average speed is going to be well below the limit at 10mph or less over each ramp and very short distances between the ramps. As I said, if it is not considered that there is sufficient hazard to warrant a 20mph limit, why should the ramps enforce an average below this? Either there is a hazard and a lower limit is appropriate or there isn't and the ramps aren't necessary or at least don't need to be designed to reduce speed by as much as they do. If we continue to insist on enforcing the correct speeds for hazards, drivers will eventually lose the ability to judge the correct speeds for themselves and promptly kill themselves or someone else where such enforcement is not in place.

Just an aside, a local shopping centre has just installed a plastic ramp across the entrance to their carpark. It has almost vertical edges and the only way that vehicles can cross it without severe jarring is to virtually stop and then crawl forward while slipping the clutch severely - anything more is just vicious. Speeds at the entrance have now fallen to around 1mph across the ramp causing traffic to back up onto the roundabout.

Steve W

Reply to
Steve Walker

As the "built up area" is defined by the distance between street lights (oh they have to be of a certain height as well) there could be a problem here :)

Steve W

Reply to
Steve Walker

Basically bikes going too fast. When the weather is good we don't get just a handful of bikes we get 100+, yes most are sensible and are out to enjoy a nice ride through the fells along some really rather nice driving roads. But a significant proportion are out to get from A to B as quickly as possible, more often than not in a "pack" of half a dozen or so.

I guess you have never involuntarally ducked when an oncoming bike hurtles round a corner at you. The bikes wheels are (just) his side of the line but the riders head is about inline with yours... Or the first thing you know about a bike behind is when it roars past at 80+

20yds from a blind corner.

I'd rather my council tax wasn't spent scraping some lunatic off the road or from the front of a tractor. We are also remote, so any serious injury requires the air ambulance if only to save the prat from an hours plus journey in the back of an ambulance.

I'd rather not have to take the risk at all. I'm glad that this bank holiday weekend is wet, if it had been like the week leading up there would be bikes all over and almost certainly one or two "accidents".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't see a problem. A single light can't have a "distance between street lights" so the 30mph "built up area" limit doesn't apply. B-)

Have you a link/reference for the distance/height thing?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Huge writes

See above ^^^

yoo can doo it tooo

it's just that RS have pulled their finger out and done something

Reply to
geoff

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Aah, fond memories of the horseshoe pass at 5am

Reply to
geoff

And what about cars going too fast - you don't mention this

Reply to
geoff