OT: Speeding yobs!

Subject says it all. Suggestions for stopping, discouraging, speeding yobs in a 30mph street.

Reply to
Graeme

Sleeping policemen.

Drug a couple of them, and lay them down in the road.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

So where do you suggest finding any policemen? :-)

Actually, I wonder if any of the yob's appear to be carrying offensive weapons or firearms? That might get a nonchalant bobby to wander past when he's finished his tea. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

cobble the road. works perfectly, slows traffic, but no big bumps.

mrcheerful mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

"Accidentally' spill a bag of postcrete one night

'Accidentally' spill a litre of engine oil

Erect a dummy speed camera

Park REALLY badly

Leave a wheelbarrow/skip/dustbin/ in the road

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Seriously, the Police DO have powers to stop this sort of thing

could try collecting number plates of offenders and then pass this informations on. If it happens at a regular time each day/week they may turn out to stop it

NB

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Metal dustbins full of sand or bricks, or whatever is really heavy, and place them staggered all along the street. Remember to lay some down the centre of the street as well or the speeders will only pick the centre line to drive down.

Then contact your local council and tell them about the hassle you're having and the measures you've taken to prevent it. They should step in after that because blocking the queens highway is an offence unless it is deemed necessary to prevent danger to users.

Reply to
BigWallop

Take registration numbers and call the police. Keep on doing this until something is done. Be persistent!

Reply to
John Smith

I remember a story told to me by two New York cops. They use to have a problem with speeding along a straight stretch of road in the city until a coffee shop opened on one of the corners. The police used to stop there to pick up drinks and sit for a while chatting to the owner. While they sat there with the police car sitting outside, the speeding stopped immediately just because of the presence of the police car. So all the police might have to do is show up and sit around for a while on your street and it might help to put off these nutcases from using your road as a race track.

Reply to
BigWallop

On Wed, 26 May 2004 11:50:34 GMT, "mrcheerful" strung together this:

Don't be so daft. That's the worse thig for vehicles, someone round here decided it would be a good idea to put them all the way round the town centre. Within a year they had started ripping them up because of complaints of noise and bits being rattled off of cars, which were travelling well within the speed limit. Cobbling short sections would be better, around 3' every so often.

Reply to
Lurch

Most of the nutters round here use the anti-speed bumps to test the suspension on their cars. They go even faster now to see who can take off and land the furthest from the bump.

Reply to
BigWallop

In a similar vein I was in Austria recently and they have cardboard cutout policemen with radar guns and/or police cars at the side of the road to discourage speeding. From a distance they look uncannily real. Of course in this country someone would just steal them.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

And in a 20 mph street ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

that would do, I know that at some entrances to estates they have about thirty feet done in cobble type stuff and it is so unpleasant at speed you have to take it easy. Noise wise I reckon speed humps are dreadful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The bottom of our street was cobbled. One year the Lord Mayor had his Remembrance Service at the church at the bottom of the street. To protect the Rolls from a few yards of cobbles it was covered in tarmac. That's become permanent.

When views were being sought about traffic calming I suggested removing the tarmac to expose the cobbles. The engineer was horrified, she said it would damage cars. I said it wouldn't if they were only doing 20mph, which was proposed.

The tarmac is still there.

There are two 'pillows' which describes them well, broad, almost soft, shallow humps which you can hardly feel. It's a narrow street with parking on both sides (folk too idle to put cars in drives) and STILL cars come up and down at more than 40mph. I'm being conservative there.

Even the council skip wagon does.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've thought about stretching a wire across the street ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Seeing as all cars these days have a computer management system, I would have thought it would be possible to limit the speed when a car goes into a certain area, especially now that there are devices that tell you be GPS how fast you are going and what the limit is.

Reply to
Ian Watts

You're right, there ARE ways of stopping some anti-social and dangerous practices. But here you can't get out fast enough to get the numbers. Often it's during the night when you're in bed, the scream of engines wakes you but you can't do anything about it. If you sat at the side of the road waiting for them they'd be going too fast to see the plates.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ask for an incident reference number every time you call. That way you can be sure it gets written down and far more likely to be acted upon.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:36:38 GMT, "mrcheerful" strung together this:

That's something I forgot to mention about the cobbles, noise. It was absolutely awful, in short bursts it could probably be tolerated but not continuously all day.

Reply to
Lurch