OT: Speeding yobs!

??????????

Reply to
IMM

The point was speed. many here were defending it as if there should be no speed limit anywhere.

Reply to
IMM

Smoking while driving frequently causes inattention and carelessness.

Reply to
stejonda_privacy

Wrong. No-one has said that.

Reply to
Huge

So what has that got to do with what I just said?

Yes, it's (possibly) more difficult to avoid something when going fast, that's *why* one concentrates more, it's an absolutely natural risk compensation response. As a consequence it seems reasonable to me to suggest that one may well have fewer accidents (per mile? per hour?) when driving faster. It all depends on how our preception of risk relates to our speed, if it feels riskier than it actually is (relative to a lower speed) we will 'over compensate' and drive more safely.

Reply to
usenet

Because you keep banging on about your concentration - I'm trying to get you to see that it's not just _your_ concentration that counts - it's someone else not concentrating that is likely to be a problem. You goign faster isn't going to make it easier to avoid them.

See above.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yes, but any reasonably competant driver most certainly *does* avoid many accidents which, if they had happened, would be the 'other person's fault'. OK, there are some accidents which can't be avoided, but they are few and far between. Concentrating most certainly *will* reduce the risk of having an accident, that's all I have been saying all along.

Reply to
usenet

Yuk, no thanks, but I do appreciate the sentiment.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Metaphor, innit.

Reply to
Huge

O, you woz Havana sorta joke.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

I'd agree that concentration and driver skill do reduce accidents, but this also involves slowing down where there are potential hazards.

Concentration will reduce 'thinking distance' before braking, but not braking distance itself, which is why the above is necessary.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I like your sense of humidor......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

[15 lines snipped]

Oh, leaf it out.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, this thread has burnt out now.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It really aught to be band.

Reply to
Huge

Or cut

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think you're leading it ashtray....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sorry. That' snuff for now

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ashually the whole thread is smoke and mirrors. And a pun-gent aroma of burning leaves.

Reply to
Terry

You've been working on that haven't you!

I suppose we'll have to put it in our pipe and smoke it ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher