OT: Speeding yobs!

So you just drive more slowly.

Cobbles work!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Wed, 26 May 2004 20:02:41 +0100, "Mary Fisher" strung together this:

No they don't. If you drive at the speed limit your car falls to pieces. I'm not against limiting speeds to the speed limit, it''s when the speed is limited to half the speed limit for no reason then it's annoying.

Reply to
Lurch

It must be very poorly built then - perhaps you're more used to driving in a circus ring?

Cobbles are rarely there for more than a few yards. Reducing your speed for that distance might be annoying but it might just make you think ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've driven on old cobbled streets (well setts not cobbles) and they're absolutely lethal - a little bit of rain and it can be like driving on ice. Speed also has to be very low (10 mph or so) to avoid severe shaking and I too object to traffic calming measures that force people to slow to a half or even a third of the speed limit to negotiate them - if they really want you to drive that slowly, then that should be the posted speed limit for the road.

Steve W

Reply to
Steve Walker

On Wed, 26 May 2004 20:28:14 +0100, "Mary Fisher" strung together this:

IMM?

I think we'll just agree to disagree. I personally can't see what's wrong with driving fast, I see a lot more accidents caused by idiotic\dimwitted\dangerous driving but it's harder to spot that without actual human monitoring. Speed is the easy targety and as such much of this country has been brainwashed by tv campaigns that this is the only thing that is wrong with the standard of driving, it most definitely isn't.

Reply to
Lurch

Hear, hear. Give that man a cee-gar.

Reply to
Huge

The obstructions make drivers slow down BETWEEN the obstructions, not just on them. If it were just on them they wouldn't slow at all. We see that on the pillows in our street.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:30:02 +0100, "Mary Fisher" strung together this:

You reckon, I think you'll find it's the opposite in most cases.

Those things are useless, I haven't come across any yet that are wide enough to touch the wheels on my big vann, and the little one has a smoother ride over those than most of the potholes that are around!

Reply to
Lurch

If the obstructions are close enough cars can't get up enough speed to break the limit between them.

I agree.

Ours go full width, kerb to kerb, but the potholes are worse.

The potholes would be like cobbles if they were closer but they don't shake anything to bits!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:52:37 +0100, "Mary Fisher" strung together this:

Unfortunately, most aren't. Like I saiid before, if the bumps or whatever method are there to slow you down to the speed limit then that's fine, anything else is just pointless.

True, the best way to slow people down is to revert back to letting the local council repair the roads!

Reply to
Lurch

On 26 May 2004 20:29:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) strung together this:

Why thankyou very much! (I could have gone on all night, but thought I'd better limit it to just the one paragraph!)

Reply to
Lurch

Bean you are mad. 60mph in a 30 limit? Nothing wrong with that eh! Some mothers....

Reply to
IMM

Cobblers. Front Street here is cobbled and moderately steep, when it's wet it's no more or less slippy than the tarmac either side. In fact in the winter with ice/snow about and at 1000' thats fairly often from November to April, it's better than the tarmac as the ice/snow gets pushed off the cobble tops into the gaps bewteen. The tarmac just becomes sheet ice.

Well get a car with a comfortable suspension then, not one as stiff as old boots.

So you feel a need to drive at the speed limit at all times no matter the road conditions? Hum...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 26 May 2004 22:23:55 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

There's nothing wrong with doing that, it's when you hit someone that the problems start. (I'm not saying that I do, or that anyone should be able to. I'd expect to have my license revoked if I did that and I wouldn't be complaining about the fact. I was just meaning in an extreme theoretical sense).

Reply to
Lurch

I'm just training to be a driving instructor and that's exactly what I've got to debate at a seminar tomorrow! It'll be interesting to see what arguements both ways are presented.

Steve W

Reply to
Steve Walker

Oh, I know they do that. The problem is that around here, all the roads seem to be sprouting traffic calming measures - reducing driving to a stop start crawl, with max speeds of 10mph over some of the bumps and this is on roads that still have a 30 limit. If they want the traffic to go slower, why can't they try reducing the limit first, without adding humps everywhere. The end result is that all traffic is trying to avoid the humps and is forced onto the one road through the middle of the shopping centre, where the majority of the pedestrians are - what sort of logic is there in that?

Steve W

Reply to
Steve Walker

That didn't seem to what you were saying at 1pm today!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

On Wed, 26 May 2004 23:01:51 +0100, Steve Walker strung together this:

Maybe you could tell some of the instructors that do the advanced motorway driving courses that you're not supposed to teach people to drive in the middle lane whether there's traffic on your inside or not! People doing this are the main cause of holdups on motorways, and the same applies to people who do the same in the outside lane too. I usually find it quicker to stick to lane 1 & 2 and leave the slow\daft\untrained\unlicensed\ignorant people in whatever lane they want.

Hmm, be interesting to be a a fly on the wall at that one!

Reply to
Anonymous

So take the steering wheel out of your trousers then!

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In other countries you know the speed limit by the road layout; duel carriageways is X mph, etc, they are all set. In this country you could be on a 3 lane road with a barrier in the centre and it will be 30 mph. Then they put cameras on them. I do know of some junctions that do need cameras on them, and yet I see cameras on straight roads with large grass verges either side. The get out for the police is look at the signs, which to me is nonsense.

We must have one of the worst sign systems in Europe, if not the worst. Drive off the ferry from France and then a whole pile of small signs cluttered together, with tiny writing on them, making it very difficult to see. Also come off the M1 at Brent Cross and see the plethora of different signs which appear to haphazardly placed, some motorways signs, some by the LA, some by whoever, all different sizes and styles with cluttered writing and all difficult to fathom out. I have seen car and trucks just stop at the end of the M1 just looking at the signs.

Reply to
IMM