OT Smell of Paint

I have been using a new can (well, plastic pot) of Dulux Rich Matt emulsion today.

I am convinced it smells of bananas - well, specifically, artificial banana 'essence'. As used in milkshakes, paediatric medicines, those banana-shaped sweets, and so on.

Is this a change? Or has it always smelled like this? Or is it just my nose playing up?

Reply to
Rod

Is it banana-coloured paint, by any chance?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Could be you're going bananas?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well, ummm, no. It is not a thousand million miles away from being like a banana made into a smoothie - but really is just a touch off-white. Definitely not yellow.

Reply to
Rod

Quite likely. Definitely possible. :-)

(Oh dear- you didn't include a smiley in your reply.)

Reply to
Rod

Use custard undercoat.

Reply to
Graham.

Brilliant idea. I'll just go and get some from the speed bumps.

(For anyone who doesn't know - )

Reply to
Rod

No reason why your product shouldn't smell of bananas. Its a fairly common solvent and flavouring compound that could be included in the mix, or as a trace in other solvents that are in the mix.

Spamlet

Thanks - that starts to make a bit of sense as to why. I had been wondering if it was something they were adding as a 'perfume' - but thought that seemed a bit unlikely.

When I do the rest (tomorrow) I will be thinking further - see if I can discern pears as well. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Some of those vinyl paints can be quite headachy even when supposedly low volatiles, so it would be no surprise if a paint co added something to improve the experience.

A lot of basic ingredients can have unpleasant smells, so it is not unusual for 'perfume' compounds to be added, except that in this instance they are called 'masking compounds'. We used to use one called 'Allamask' to improve the odour of mixes where sickly smelling stuff such as 'neat's foot oil' was included. Mind you, the masking compounds in bulk have to be treated very respectfully: one drop carelessly handled gets you a very wide berth on the bus!

Spamlet

Yes - I generally find emulsion worse than gloss. Or at least I used to

- seems to have improved over the last few years.

Anyway, the thread has reminded me of a Tom Lehrer song, My Home Town, one verse of which goes like this:

I remember Dan, the druggist on the corner, 'e Was never mean or ornery, He was swell. He killed his mother-in-law and ground her up real well, And sprinkled just a bit Over each banana split.

Perhaps it is someone's M-i-L in there?

Reply to
Rod

Ah the excellent Tom. It would probably be a doner kebab these days... I just gave it a run through on my best of CD. Lots more where that came from.

Cheers, S

Reply to
Spamlet