OT: slops in beer

The extra profit from a sale that does not increase wholesale purchases or overheads is the price of the sale.

If you sell something that would otherwise go to waste you increase your profits by the sale price.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Not so fast...

The _EXTRA_ profit is the difference in the profit you make on selling the slops versus selling a straight pint. So if there's 80p of overhead being saved on a sale that would have given £2.50 profit, then the EXTRA profit is 80p. The £2.50 profit would have been made anyway, because you were selling a pint anyway. It's just that, by saving the 80p, you've made £3.30 instead of £2.50.

Not that the profit on a pint really IS £2.50. That's just the margin on top of the materials cost. Then there's all the other overheads... But they don't affect that _extra_ profit, since they'd come out of the £2.50 margin on selling that straight pint, perhaps leaving only 20p or so actual profit from that pint. But the extra from selling slops is still

80p.
Reply to
Adrian

This is illegal in Scotland. Every pint must have a fresh clean glass.

(Used to be absolutely normal but there was a

Reply to
Norman Rowling

Yes you're quite right. I was thinking more about my trade, where I might sell scrap rather than throw it away.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

So if the slops could fetch 10p elsewhere - as pig feed, perhaps - then the extra profit by selling them as a pint instead would be 80p-10p, so

70p.
Reply to
Adrian

Also, the glasses have been through a dishwasher-type cleaner which runs at a high enough temperature to sterilise the glass. The drip tray (which is what they call the margarine tub around here) doesn't get cleaned at a high temperature (and it wouldn't survive if someone tried it) and can thus harbour fungi or bacteria.

Some landlords use the beer from the drip trays to make steak and ale pie (which sterilises the beer during cooking). Most empty it down the sink. It certainly shouldn't be served to customers.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

balanced in

unhygienic?

I thought beer is naturally antiseptic, which is why they used to give it to children as soon as they were weaned.

Reply to
Max Demian

Not really. It has been made with boiled water rather that the stuff with cholera etc in that came straight out the well (in medieval and Victorian times). The alcohol content is too low to be any use - you really need to be up to spirits level to be much use.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's the act of fermentation that kills most bugs. Not the alcohol content as such.

Which is why returning slops to a real ale wasn't as bad as it seemed. As the beer still fermented in the cask.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought it was illegal in england too.

The barman in the pub in the village used to always ask if I wanted clean glasses and when I asked him why he said they had to be clean every time by law - unless I said I didn't need them clean.

In that pub the clean glasses were generally pretty dirty so If you got a clean one it was better to stick with it I always thought.

Tim W

Reply to
TimW

Especially as properly maintained and properly cleaned bar furniture and lines results in empty slop trays so there is no need to recycle the slops.

Reply to
alan_m

That's why beer near goes off!

Beer was once safer than water but only because in the process of making beer the water was boiled.

Reply to
alan_m

But decrease the profitability of the pub when the customers doesn't return.

Reply to
alan_m

Suffocation of oxygen respiring organisms I presume?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Better still get it served straight from the keg with no pumps, pipes or other paraphernalia in the way twist barrel and glass.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

...as he's died of cholera...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, its the alcohol. Eventually it kills the yeast too. It drowns in its own poison. Thst wahy we have 'surgical spirit' containing alcohol, and why Europe drinks not-fermeneting-any-longer small beer, cider and so on, because it sterilises doggy water.

Asian races drink tea for the same reason. Boiling water also kills bugs.

Anything Plowperson says can generally be found to be wrong.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not at 4-5% alcohol!

Reply to
Tim Watts

No she says they were marge tubs in the drip trays!

Bizarre!

I think she'll be writing to the owners, and the council. I found her all the contact details, including the CEO of the pubco.

Wether she'll bother I don't know.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If it stings when you put it on broken skin it's antiseptic!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright