OT. Beer can shape.

Why is the beer/soda can shaped like it is:

From Popular Mechanics.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Also:

The cost of the can is considerably more than the beer itself.

Reply to
philo

I bookmarked his series on YouTube called Engineerguy. That's some interesting stuff. The show How It's Made on the Science Channel is good to watch.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Very good!

I'll chec it out.

I'm still trying to use the youtube software!

Why after all these years can't I play it backwards? Or at least, is there a good way to go back 30 seconds and replay something? When I press pause, it always has a hard time restarting

And this time I started to watch the animated version mentioned during Engineer Guy's good version. I got bored and wanted to go to one of the other many selections, but how to do I make the one I'm watching finish right away?

Reply to
micky

not sure I understand the question. However, I always thought the subtle difference between soda and beer can shape was to enable highway patrolman an easy visual differentiation at a distance between drinking while driving and having a soda.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Seems to me typical soda and beer can shapes are and look very much the same, even when you're up close. Except for the exceptional ones, like Michelob Ultra slim cans.

As to the video, it's a interesting one, but it would be better called how beverage cans are made. The beginning is pretty lame, implying that the sole driving factor was fitting them into the smallest space possible. Spheres? Cubes? Good grief. Clearly one of the biggest drivers was a shape you could hold and drink from. And we already had the water glass. I would think the choice of a cylinder was fairly obvious.

Reply to
trader_4

It was a rhetorical question.

The OP was not asking a question.

That said, what makes you think a soda can and a beer can look different?

The difference is the label and the contents.

Reply to
philo

No idea, though there must be a ton and a half of computer whiz kids who would know.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

No you aren't.

Youtube is a web site that sends audio files to your computer.

The software you use to play those files is on _your_ computer.

Not something most people would want to do.

That makes more sense than playing backwards.

Most browser video players have a progress bar at the bottom of the screen. Drag the dot with the mouse.

Press the triangular forward button.

Same deal with the progress bar.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Shows a cola can over time, but probably applies to beer also:

thekmanrocks

My reply was 'tongue in cheek'

Maybe just me, but 12 oz beer cans look TOTALLY different than 12 oz soda cans. Haven't bought any in loooonnnnng time, so maybe the two are now the same.

I buy Beck's non-alcoholic brew out of Bremen - comes in bottles. Get all the vitamins and stomach settling 'goodness', but none of the titillation(sp?) and resulting loss of brain cells. Plus, one of the few brews that actually is ok with fish and stands up to ice in the glass without seeming all watery.

I once had a highway patrolman tell me that consuming non-alcoholic brew while driving is not a 'chargeable' offense. And he could actually tell from a goodly distance whether a driver was consuming non-alcholic brew by viewing the container so would not stop him. Now THAT's pattern recognition!

Reply to
RobertMacy

It's driven by the html code in the youtube webpage.

Have you actually tried that?. It works very badly when it works at all.

It usually doen't work.

Moving the dot to the end has worked for me once, but it didn't work this time. Instead the video would not go forward any farther.

Are you claiming this stuff works for you, or only that you've never wanted to do these things,

What browser do you use? What OS?

Reply to
micky

Totally off topic, but I was stopped by a cop once on a small road from the Rockville Pike to I-70 west of DC and Balt.

He talked to me for a while and asked me if I had been drinking. I hadn't, and after a little while he went back to his car and I left.

It was only 5 seconds after I started driving again that I realized why he stopped me. I had been eating from a bag of M&M's and I had to wiggle the wheel to get an M out of the bag. So I was wiggling and wiggling the steering wheel and he thought I was drunk.

Had I figured this out when he was there, and had I told him, would that have been good or bad for me? Would he call that reckless driving to eat M&M's while driving?

Reply to
micky

LOL

So hard sometimes to interpret posts without seeing the smirk on one's face.

I no longer drink alcohol but in Milwaukee one does not have to go too far to see a can of beer and they loo9k the same as soda cans to me.

Not too long ago I want to a bar to celebrate a friend's birthday. Since I don't drink beer or soda I decided to try a non-alcoholic beer. When I asked the bartender for one, after rummaging around for quite some time she found a Clausthaler. Though it did not really taste like beer, it was not too bad. When I ordered a 2nd one , when she served it, she said it was their last one.

I guess non-alcoholic beer is not big here in Milwaukee

Possibly not the container, but the way the person was driving.

Way back a million years ago I was coming home from an office party and had been drinking. I do not know if I was over the limit or not...but I got stopped for speeding. When I realized that I was not stopped for suspicion of drinking, I took the speeding ticket with no argument.

Reply to
philo

He could have given you a ticket for inattentive driving I suppose.

Had he asked, it probably would have been better to tell him you sneezed.

Reply to
philo

Today? Sadly, NEVER explain. Even when asked. Say NOTHING. [I learned the hard way(s).]

Reply to
RobertMacy

philo: The mind is amazing that way - the EXACT SAME SHAPE container can look different dressed in the livery of an alcoholic beverage as opposed to that of a soft drink.

The keg-shape can one brewer marketed not long ago is an exception; it does look different.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

OTOH: I've seen people say that two cars looked alike, when they did not...they were simply painted the same color and were about the same size.

Reply to
philo

And, yes, that sounds like great wisdom.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm using Win 7 and IE here and youtube works OK. Always has on previous OS's and Microsoft browsers too. Occasionally something will happen, it won't restart, you can't move forward to a new spot. But then just reloading the page almost always fixes it. The beer can video worked here.

Reply to
trader_4