Scots Pint equivalents in N. America

I am trying to replicate a British flammability standard for industrial purposes, and it calls for Scots Pine (Pinus silvestris) which appears to be largely unavailable in the USA. I need a very small quantity, so it is not practical to import. Does anyone out there have any knowledge of what wood might be equivalent to Scots Pine in terms of density/hardness and rosin content? The British standard does not specify anything about the wood except the type and the dimensions, so I assume there are standard grades available in the UK, and so hopefully there is a N. American standard grade of wood that is equivalent.

Thanks for your help! ElizCat

Reply to
ElizCat

ElizCat...

Visit

and download (at least) Chapter 1. I don't know if /Pinus Silvestris/ is included; but your chances are good. If you do much woodworking, this publication is a "must have".

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Scots Pine (Scotch Pine) is commonly grown as a Christmas tree up here in Canada. Maybe in the US as well? Contact a tree farm or two.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

It's here. Called "Scotch Pine". See:

mttt

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:34:13 -0600, Dave Balderstone scribbled:

Maybe the closest is Red Pine (Pinus resinosa). It's hard to tell them apart from P. sylvestris, and taxonomically, they are in the same group. I suspect the wood is very similar too. Checkout the FPL site others have mentioned for the properties to see if they have any more detail.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi