OT Sending and Receiving Emails

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

port 25 from the ISP to the internet, dimwit.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I'm on their website right now, ordering my service.

Reply to
Huge

The point being they allow it *only* to their mail relay.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

B@st@rd. :o)

Given where we live, we will *never* get FTTC.

Reply to
Huge

But not from?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nice of you to be so polite instead of saying:

" I now undestand a lot more than I wanted to know!" :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

I run one on a dynamic address and have only had one email rejected for it being dynamic in about 5 years. I suspect that the majority of mail servers are using better spam filters these days.

Reply to
dennis

You don't send mail on port 25. You can send it on any port, to port 25.

Reply to
dennis

You don't need to receive anything from the mail relay, generally (as it will be a dedicated SMTP relay, hosting no mailboxes), but even if you did, you'd generally use POP or IMAP. Even if you had a SMTP server at home, it would listen on 25, not try to send out.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Bet you're before us.

Reply to
Adrian

and then you blow it by coming here and hanging out with us lot ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

On Friday 14 February 2014 01:57 John Rumm wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ah - you're *supposed* to say:

"But YOU(me) are an AA customer!" ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

Alcoholics Anonymous?

Reply to
Capitol

On Friday 14 February 2014 11:05 Capitol wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Well, that too. Or is it Arseys Anonymous :)

I've certainly been on everyone arse recently in a fairly arsey way - massive potholes of doom broke two springs on my car last month, EE (plus Orange, TMobile and Three) have had no service in my village for a week now due to broen cell tower and quite a lot of other general moronicity from random people.

And have you seen what happened to our railway line at Stonegate:

Tim Watts

Ouch. That's going to spill your coffee, isn't it?

Reply to
Huge

On Friday 14 February 2014 11:53 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I think it might!

That's the 4th or 5th landslip we've had - the others merely buried the line under mud and were fairly quickly cleared up (though they need to do 2-3 months of work to stabilise the cuttings).

The next line over at Uckfield is knackered due to a landslip at Oxted.

But we still have leccy and phone/adsl - so no need to actually go into work to work.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

M$ tat was never OK and never will be.

Reply to
bert

email is not an assured delivery mechanism .... although many people think it is.

So many servers handing off files to each other, anyone of them can fail or be backlogged.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Or they make you use the mail submission port 587 instead which, given it is always deployed requiring authentication, cannot be used to send direct-to-MX spam.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Indeed, increasingly common.

Reply to