OT Sending and Receiving Emails

I don't know that that's true all over the world. And it's certainly not true of my iPhone.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

It used to work.

Unfortunately, spammers and malware (especially spamming malware) used to pump a fuckload of their junk out directly to port 25 on anything that'd listen. So now damn near every SMTP server will refuse to accept mail from any dynamically allocated IP address.

Seriously, even on a lighter business-grade ADSL line, it's pointless attempting to do anything but route outward-bound email through a fixed smart relay at your ISP or A.N.Other mail provider. It WILL be rejected by recipients.

Reply to
Adrian

Spam being sent by zombie PCs. So many PCs were originating spam that ISPs decided that their clients should not be allowed to originate email.

Reply to
Huge

IMO, you have this back to front.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yep. Millions of zombie PCs, all able to send mail directly? if you weren't able to use RBL's for the user-space IP ranges, it's be a nightmare. See also the fact that some ISPs are blocking SMTP out from their customer addresses, unless it's directed to their SMTP server, which you then have to authenticate to.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Because the way it's organised now allows you to turn on your computer, send a mail, and turn it off again. You delegate this work to someone else, including the retries because the remote ISP is offline.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Thank you all for your replies, I now undestand a lot more than I did!

Reply to
Davidm

En el artículo , Tim Watts escribió:

Yes, it'll work if the ISP permits outgoing port 25, but no self- respecting ISP would allow that. As another poster pointed out, it would leave the internet wide open to mass spamming by infected/botnetted PCs.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

and 'silliness' rejecting mail from arbitrary private senders.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

however you can rent a VM and be that a.n.other yourself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All of them do. Allow that.

As another poster pointed out, it

It does, which is why most mail targets routinely reject any conversation emanating from those iP addresses...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, quite a few do/did block 25 outgoing.

Reply to
Adrian

On Thursday 13 February 2014 09:02 Adrian wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The latter is not actually true - I've been running a mail server forver (until last year) off a server on ADSL.

Now that particular function is on a Linode server.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 13 February 2014 11:42 Mike Tomlinson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

AA do.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I suspect that AA's customers are not run-of-the-mill Wintendo drivers.

Reply to
Huge

bit hard to use their mail relay then.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IF you have a static IP address with a proper reverse lookup on it, you have a chance.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Thursday 13 February 2014 13:25 The Natural Philosopher wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Indeed I do - and I do agree that is a reasonable prerequiste.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Thursday 13 February 2014 13:12 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That's the other reason I like AA - my IP range is not mixed up in a netblock full of retards...

Reply to
Tim Watts