OT: Schuko sockets (again)

No they don't. They recommend a 16 amp dedicated socket.

Reply to
Scott

Only Harry thinks that current flows through every socket on the ring!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Once upon a time double sockets had two sets of terminals. That's probably what Harry remembers.

Reply to
charles

It depends on how you define "through". The current flows from one live wire to the next, where they are crimped and then screwed together in the terminal block of the socket. There may be a small amount of resistance at this joint which could lead to heating as (in theory) 30 A of current may flow through the ring - maybe distributed slightly unequally between the two routes back to the "fuse box" if there are more sockets (joints) on one route than the other. In the worst case, with a poor/broken joint in one leg of the ring, the full 30 A will flow the other way.

But unless an appliance is plugged into the socket, no current will flow through its internal "wiring" (often flat strips of copper) between the terminal block and the prongs that touch the plug.

Is the 13 A rating of a socket limited by the crimp/screw connections between wires in the terminal block or by the wires/strips within the socket?

Reply to
NY

Did they? I've never seen any, even old ones, like that. So did the wires from the two ends of the ring main connect to different terminal blocks, with short jumper wires from one block to the other? So *two* joints rather than *one*:

NY

Even then he is still missing the fundamental difference between current flowing though the circuit cables supplying the socket, and current actually flowing through the socket's switch and sprung contacts to a device connected to a plug inserted in the socket. The current limit of the former will significantly higher than the latter.

Reply to
John Rumm

As I mentioned above, BS1363 agrees with Harry, and even requires it as part of testing a socket, because the current passing on the ring circuit also generates heat in the socket.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Do you frequently dangle and extension lead out of the window to charge your car then?

You need to install a proper charging point on a dedicated circuit.

Reply to
John Rumm

not wires, but strips of metal

Reply to
charles

Pull 20A through the circuit where the socket terminals are being used only as a joint, and you will see *significantly* less heating than attempting to pull 20A though a plug connected to the socket.

Reply to
John Rumm

Nope.

Reply to
harry

They had two earth terminals. But only one L & one N.

Reply to
harry

No but what has that to do with it? Most of the energy goes to charge the battery.

My charger came fitted with a thirteen amp plug. Rated at 10 Amp, 2.2Kw.

It's only used on cheap night electricity in Winter. Nothing else on by night apart from fridge/freezer. Apart from the immersion heater and cooker, it's our only significant load.

Reply to
harry

They use zig zag connected transformers in the USA.

harry

To paraphrase Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee): 'That's not a charger'.

Reply to
Scott

I don't seriously believe that BS1363 anywhere states that the current going to one socket flows through another. It's not even possible with sockets that have one set of connections: the copper wires will inevitably touch in the screw connector, giving a lower R path than through the connector, so it's inevitable most of the current flows from one wire directly to the next.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr