Mix and match parts from two near-identical netbooks?

I have two HP minis: one is a HP2133 and the other is it's near-identical relative the HP2140. They are a bit elderly but both built like tanks with the same aluminium shell and a magnesium chassis and with near-full-size keyboards they are a delight to use.

The 2133 is rather slow and sluggish but has excellent speakers and high-definition screen built into the lid. The 2140 is more sprightly - it will play full-screen video without any jumps or stutters - but the sound is execrable and the screen is decidedly lo-fi.

I'm considering swapping the lids so the good sound and vision go with the better processor etc. The fittings are identical in each: the lid, hinges, microphone and webcam are all in exactly the same places but the screen and the speakers are different. I know that the 2140 graphics card will handle a higher resolution display because it automatically adjusts when plugged into a higher quality external display. I can't see what could possibly go wrong...

...But Sod's Law says there's something I've overlooked.

Before I commit myself to dismantling these machines, does anybody know definitively that all the connectors inside will be the same and that it will be a simple, straightforward swap? What are the gotchas?

Thanks!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Don't know about HP, but with Dell the same model of laptop, but using a different screen (matte vs glossy, or standard resolution vs highDPI) can have different connectors.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Good point. If nobody here has physically taken these models apart and knows the answer first hand, might there be a repository of HP service sheets somewhere to look it up. All I seem able to find are HP's standard help pages and these items are no longer supported by them anyway.

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

If the connector at the screen end is different, but the motherboard end is the same, you could probably swap the looms

Reply to
Andy Burns

Also sometimes the inverter for the backlights are different in different screens. Sometimes the inverter is actually in the screen itself, but if not then a module on the pcb might need to be swapped. Its been a long time since I saw inside aa laptop. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Another good point I hadn't considered. Might this affect the wiring loom between the lid and the base? I had hoped it might be as simple as unscrewing the hinges, unplugging the connectors and swapping them over.

Of course it may be. But I don't want to commit to dismantling either or both until I am fairly sure of success.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Another thing worth considering is swapping the HD in the slower machine for a SSD. Depending on what you use it for this might give you the performance gains that you want.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You might be able to extract the information you need here:

Custos Custodum

I actually did that a couple of years ago and thanks to the lower performing CPU and the general architecture it made very little difference. The 2140 only came out a year or so after the 2133 but it is a very much improved version.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Brilliant! I've downloaded it and I'll have a good read through.

Many thanks!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

If that doesn't help, repost on uk.comp.homebuilt; there are some more very helpful experts over there.

Reply to
newshound