Replacing electric stovetop burner socket AGAIN.

The socket where the burner element plugs in is starting to spark again. This slowley makes a worse until failure. I replaced the socket once before. I cleaned the burner element contacts with a wire brush until they were nice and shinny! But alas they are starting to fail again.

Is there some sort of conductive electrical paste I could apply to these connections to help make a better connection, and stop the arcing?

Thanks, Gern

Reply to
Gern

This time why not replace the socket AND the element at the same time? It is likely that the element connector, despite being "nice and shinny" won't make good contact and will slowly and inevitably cause everything to fail again. It doesn't take long at all for a cascade of poor contact makes heat makes worse contact makes more heat, ad infinitum until a contact fails by burning up.

Reply to
John McGaw

Hi,

Many things can wear out the element receptacle. Constant taking the element out. Boiled over water getting into it. Using a pot bigger than the element surface area. Pitted element end.

What is the range make/model#? What part/part# did you install.

-May- be best to replace the element & receptacle at the same time.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

So is that a no on the conductive paste then?

Reply to
Gern

Regular Dialectric grease may cook out .Your socket is corroded , remove corosion or replace, it may be to far gone.

Reply to
m Ransley

yes thats a no.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

I don't know of any that would also withstand the heat in that area. We have used silver solder in similar applications which works well but due to the design of electric range surface elements, the high heat needed to apply it damages the rest of the element making it totally useless.

If you want to do the job right (once and for all), replace both the element receptacle and the element at the same time and take care how often your remove the elements for cleaning afterward as described at the following link. Plug-in range surface elements are not usually overly expensive to replace.

The surface element on my range will only work if I jiggle it. Can you tell me what's wrong?

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Correct.

It would likely heat up and melt out.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

m Ransley posted for all of us....

Mark, you don't want dielectric grease; that term means it NOT meant to conduct. He wants a conductive paste such a NO lox (sp)

Reply to
Tekkie