OT: Road Tax

I think he was suggesting the Blackwall tunnel as a 'free' alternative for the planned journey.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The Blair government (some oaf called "Steve Ladyman" at Transport) decided that abolishing a toll (mainly for the benefit of the mainly Conservative voters of Kent and Essex) was unacceptable. It was better just to increase it.

Only Scottish and Welsh tolls may be abolished. Guess who pays for that?

Reply to
JNugent

...shortly going to be subject to a toll.

Reply to
JNugent

Not for long.

Khan'll almost certainly start charging for the Woolwich Ferry as well.

Reply to
JNugent

Kent County Council (not sure about Essex) definitely stated back in the day that once the tunnel had paid for itself it would be made FoC. Funny how that policy changed, come the time. It's very easy to introduce new taxes, but very hard to discontinue them; that much is clear. --

"In this sense, the theory of the Communists may be summed up in the single sentence: abolition of private property."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Kent and Essex combined (the counties had a joint committee).

The Blair government [Labour] nationalised the crossing and broke the promise to abolish the toll. Even the QE2 Bridge is paid for.

But only Scottish and Welsh tolls may be abolished.

Reply to
JNugent

Seems more than a tad unfair. There's a similar situation with prescriptions IIRC, too.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

When and where is TMH's funeral, please (anyone who knows)?

Reply to
JNugent

You can get free fuel to do the 25 mile detour?

Reply to
Roland Perry

I quoted the word 'free' for a reason.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Blackwall would be a bad choice for several reasons but doesn't make that much difference to the mileage if Adam uses either the A1 or M1 route to the M25. Might even save him money 'cos of all the 30, 40 and

50 mph limits - so long as there are no surprise cameras :)
Reply to
Robin

IOf Adam is coming down the M1 to then enter the M25, just go round the other way round, which is what we do when we want to go to Dover from Northampton... Completely avoids the dartford crossing completely.

It does not take any longer in either time or distance. :-)

S.

Reply to
SH

You've forgotten Junction 12.

Reply to
charles

of the M1 or M25?

Reply to
SH

M25 of course. Last Monday it took about 25 minutes to negotiate.

Reply to
charles

Ah.... well we usually drive through the night to be at Dover for 6.00 am so never had the J12 on M25 experience....

Reply to
SH

But was that due to the shitty protestors?

Reply to
Richard

A dirty protest on the tarmac? I missed the news reporting....

Can't have been pleasant for the roads cleaning team...

Reply to
SH

Then I assume you haven't travelled that little stretch between the M1 and the M42 turn off recently :)

For anywhere in Kent and close to the Thames the anti-clockwise journey from the M1 around the M25 is a lot longer and likely to add significantly to the journey time.

Reply to
alan_m

no, it's a very badly designed junction where a 5 lane M25 and traffic from a 3 lane M3 merge into a 3 lane M25.

Reply to
charles