OT: Road Tax

Yes, and DVLC get double bubble for the 'changeover' month of course

Reply to
Mark Carver

Yep, and even a receipt for £0.00 when I go on line to 'tax' my wife's roller-skate of a car.

Reply to
Mark Carver

From previous experience, Dealers can arrange days of licence for a new vehicle - not just whole months. Anyhow, my new one is electric so pays nothing ;-)

Reply to
charles

not from me they don't

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

In message snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, at 09:05:57 on Fri, 24 Sep 2021, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> remarked:

JOOI, are you taxing that from 1st Sept, or SORNing it for a day, then taxing it on 1st October?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Neither. As I wrote earlier, new vehicles can be registered by the day before the next month - and it's electric so it pays nothing.

Reply to
charles

Every year I get a stern demand that I tax the tractor. I do this and pay the £0.00 demanded. I then get an emailed receipt for £0.00. I have exactly the same thing with Hil's large scooter (which I keep in good fettle for when the day comes).

Of course I file the receipts very carefully.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

sounds like the "Date to End of Month" scheme which lets dealers tax a new car for 6 or 12 months /plus/ a week or weeks in the current month.

But the extra week(s) aren't free.

Reply to
Robin

But if the "last known keeper" has moved nothing is going to happen is it!

Reply to
Chris Green

a week is less than a month, though.

Reply to
charles

On one job I used to get a parking ticket 3 times a week because the warden was too stupid to look up if I had an exemption to park there.

Reply to
ARW

In the good old days if you sold a car with 12 months MOT and TAX it saved the buyer 12 months insurance (before askMID etc).

These were the days you could print off your own insurance certificates and produce them at the police station and no one ever checked them. The woman at the police counter just checked it was in date.

And you could buy a stolen MOT certificate for £20

Reply to
ARW

Going back further still, I recall the time when an MOT test cost 10 quid, but the fine for *not* having an MOT at all was only 8! And back then it didn't invalidate your insurance, either. As for paying 20 quid for a stolen certificate, I knew people who just dipped expired ones in brake fluid to erase the ink and wrote new dates on them. Sigh.... the good old days.... --

"In one word, you reproach us with intending to do away with your property. Precisely so; that is just what we intend."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

How do you clamp a scooter though ?

Reply to
Andrew

Except that you lose the part of the month in which you sell and the new owner has to tax from the start of the same month, so the DVSA gets an extra months road tax whenever a vehicle changes hands.

Reply to
Andrew

Dealers seem to be able to tax a car before the start of the month when the tax is valid from.

Reply to
Andrew

How are you going to get the double base up to Scotland ?

Reply to
Andrew

Going to have to pay the £5 return trip road tax rip off of the Dartford crossing to go to TMH's funeral.

The f****ng bridge and tunnels should be FOC. Paid for itself in 2003.

Reply to
ARW

Blackwall tunnel ??

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, at 13:13:14 on Sun, 26 Sep 2021, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net remarked:

No, the original single bore Dartford Tunnel, then the second bore.

Reply to
Roland Perry