OT: Road Tax

Gentlemen,

Road tax disks were abolished in the UK a while ago, I believe. I'm somehow doubting the actual tax itself was abolished, though. Given that realistic assumption/foregone conclusion, how does a car owner prove he's paid his road tax?

Just curious.... --

"Abolition of the family! Even the most radical flare up at this infamous proposal of the Communists."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Andy Burns

I thought that this page

linked from the above was a bit anomalous since tax disks disappeared, until I spotted that there is now a snoopers' charter:

"Check if the vehicle is taxed before you report it - this is a free service."

As for proving tax has been paid, presumably the post office give a receipt, and online gives you a fairly good "bit-trail".

Reply to
newshound

Do traffic wardens walking about have online access to this data?

Reply to
Michael Chare

What are they?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I recieved an emailed receipt.

Reply to
charles

Very probably. Everyone else does!

Police cars and other fixed (or mobile) ANPR installations certainly do and will flag any untaxed or uninsured vehicle that goes past them.

Reply to
Martin Brown

We still pay road tax. You can go on line, type in a car registration number and check if the car has road tax and insurance.

The Police do this via equipment in their cars, and the data base is also used in conjunction with automatic number plate recognition cameras. The Police often set up vans with number plate recognition cameras and have other officers parked further down the road to stop any vehicle that has been reported stolen, on a watch list or without tax and insurance.

Road tax is no longer transferable. When you sell a car you claim back any full months of unused tax and the new owner has to immediately tax his new purchase.

alan_m

Bank statement. Printed out email from the government department which collects Road Tax.

Reply to
JNugent

Which is a way that the government cons money out of the public. The old paper licence could be sold with the vehicle.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Road tax was abolished in 1937 or something or other.

We do, however, have a vehicle excise duty.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

While you are correct, even the DVLA and the government refer to "taxing" your car and used to refer to the "tax disk" and it is generally known colloquially as "car tax" or "road tax".

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's odd. It still needs to be paid, eighty four years later.

How can it have been abolished?

Is someone subjecting us to biggest scam in history?. It costs us just over £200 a year.

You can look anywhere you like on the forms or the website; you will not find the phrase "vehicle excise duty".

The MoT nowadays likes to call it "Car Tax" or "Vehicle Tax". If that's not the legally-correct term as defined in the relevant legislation, no-one seems bothered by it. So there's no need for anyone be bothered by the familiar, widely-accepted term "Road Tax" either.

It is only payable in respect of vehicles used on the ROAD.

It IS a TAX.

And since you don't have to pay the tax on any vehicle not used on the road, "Road Tax" is as accurate as it needs to be and more accurate than "Car Tax" or "Vehicle Tax".

Reply to
JNugent

But the system now makes it harder for people to avoid paying it. If you are *that* desperate, you could always wait until the end of the month to sell your car.

Reply to
Richard

In message <sijm73$137d$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, at 06:03:31 on Fri, 24 Sep

2021, Richard snipped-for-privacy@bt>> >>>> Gentlemen,

The excuse they gave when they introduced this change was that on account of there not being a paper tax disc on a car when you bought it, it wasn't sufficiently obvious when it was going to expire, and so "too many" people just ignored the issue and ended up driving an untaxed vehicle.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Unused tax could be sold on with the vehicle!

And yes, its another way of getting money as refunds are only on FULL unused calender months and when purchasing it is for FULL calender months. So if you sell mid month you will not be paid for the two weeks unused to the end of the month and if buying mid month its back dated to the beginning of the month (two weeks before you were the registered keeper of the car).

Reply to
alan_m

ANPR, I'd suggest. The cameras will do a check and no doubt send the last known keeper the fine if its not taxed. I know something like this has happened when the system did not get updated when a friend sold the car, but dvla somehow never noted it and also the person buying it, ahem, 'forgot' to tax it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

well, I am trading in my car next Thursday - pure chance it's the end of themonth. The day was determined by delivery of my new car.

Reply to
charles

jeeeezus christ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

But if you pick up your new car at the same time, you'll have to pay September's tax on it. Either way, you lose. Unless of course you can trade your old car in on Thursday and not pick the new one up until Friday.

Reply to
Steve Walker