just got my road tax reminder

pay up front 6 months £93.50 one year £170

direct debit monthly £178.50 [£14.88 a month].... 6 months £89.25.... 12 months £170

how come six months DD is that price?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Because you are giving them access to your bank account. And then the b******s charge extra if you use a credit card

Reply to
fred

Only if it's a business credit card. Personal ones have no surcharge (unless that law vanished with Brexit ?)

Reply to
Mark Carver

The DVLA did used to charge extra if you paid by credit card. But not by debit card. I think that has gone now.

Did wonder if credit cards has reduced their fees to the seller? With Covid, many places that once would only take cash for a small amount now take them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Many government websites (HMRC as an example) now won't take credit and debit card payment unless it's a business card, where they can still apply a surcharge.

Reply to
Fredxx

Maybe, but I recently (a couple of weeks ago) paid road tax, and for a new passport with my credit card.

Reply to
Mark Carver

+1 Recently driving licence renewal and road tax paid by my CC
Reply to
alan_m

In article <s9sfki$s6b$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Jim GM4DHJ ... snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com writes

Just got mine - £600 for a diesel Land Rover Defender. If I'd kept my petrol 4 litre V8 doing about 11mpg it would have been about £250. Roll on road pricing, I do less than 6k miles pa in it.

Reply to
bert

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

If you don't like cc charges just try paying for something by bitcoin. The fees appear from nowhere, the value is up and down like a yoyo and you are working to 8 places after the decimal point so you really have no concept of the value of the lower places.

Reply to
bert

Of course 4x4 pickups are taxed as a commercial vehicle, currently a flat rate.

Reply to
Fredxx