BT manhole in road.

After the road here was resurfaced and the various access to services renewed, there began to be a problem with the covers of the BT manhole in the road just outside our house

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

soon after being installed, it happened that every time a vehicle ran over the manhole there was a heavy metallic double clunking sound. Also a disturbing vibration I called the local council, who put me onto the roads department, who in turn contacted BT.

BT arrived some time later and replaced the manhole covers. they didn't wait to see if this fixed the problem and sure enough it didn't. it seems like the receiving framework off the manhole is out of line with the covers.

The possible DIY aspect:

I'm not sure if it's reasonable to expect BT to dig the whole structure up and replace it, but couldn't a heavy duty piece of rubber be inserted to fill the gap between the cover and the receiving framework ans so buffering the cover's movement an reducing the sound and vibration. Could I get away with doing this myself? there are quite long time gaps between responses from officialdom.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Find a quiet moment, lift the cover and squirt in some expanding polyurethane foam all around possible gaps. Drop cover back, let someone else worry about how to get it out.

Reply to
newshound

Seems like a more effective self leveling option than just sticking a chunk of rubber in the approximate spot.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I had a friend who worked for a company who supplied man hole covers among other things. They supplied them to the Hyde Park underpass and soon got complains that the covers were jumpng up as traffic moved over them.

They placed a speed camera at the exit to discover that cars were exceeding the posted speed limit of upward of 50%

That solved their problem. Perfect out.

Reply to
fred

I was going to suggest something similar - pour some liquid bitumen, the sort used for sealing flat roofs etc, into the gap all round the edges of the covers, late one night when there's little traffic about.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

But, that may mean the OP's phone line can't be fixed for an extra few days whilst a crane is brought in. If not the OP's, then someone else's.

Reply to
GB

I'd not advise it as they may say you caused the issue. In a certain road round here there have been ongoing problems with service covers and lots of people said the vibration was actually cracking paths and may damage their houses. In the end they had to dig them all up and replace them. BT and water. The issue was, or so I am told due to when the road was resurfaced, it meant the surrounds for the covers had to be remade and the contractor did not do them well and parts collapsed and this created the issue as they were no longer straight and wobbled and see sawed on the underlying structure. I'd like to think the original contractor had to pay, but knowing what I do about contractors, probably not. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Why not? It's not right and is their responsibilty, they probably only need to replace the frame and/or level/true the one thats there.

Have you tried to lift one of the covers? Covers capable for taking traffic loads are not what one would call "lightweight".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Chances are there are CCTV cameras watching so I'd not suggest trying this. the fault will be the original contractors who raised the surrounds or probably did not do it very well. If BT did it then fine, but more likely a contractor for the council. If it is a side road then it will be the council if a major road then the highways agency. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You wouldn't be able to lift it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The replies have certainly put me off any guerrilla activity on this. I suppose I'll slog through the official channels again and hope it gets fixed that way.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

My suggestion wasn't entirely serious, but I reckon Nightjar has nailed it. Probably better not to get caught on CCTV even so.

Reply to
newshound

Sand does sound easy and more socially acceptable.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Not only that, it seems to have worked wonderfully well. Thanks for the tip Colin, I would've never thought of that solution.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I have to say, I'm not sure how long it would have taken me to come up with it, and I'm supposed to know about such things.

Reply to
newshound

Thank goodness the Internet isn't ALL about eyebrow fashions.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Why are you supposed to know about such things?

Reply to
mechanic

Because, over the years, I have done a lot of analysis of friction and also the effects of debris and wear in what are often complicated mechanical systems. I am even doing some at the moment.

Reply to
newshound

newshound wrote in news:pOOdndQsM7d- snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

I suppose casting defects could be an issue.

It makes me wonder how many road repairs are due to poorly built manhole "shafts" sinking and crumbling. Winter seems to hit them badly. We should make more use of the pavements.

Reply to
DerbyBorn