BT manhole in road.

Outside of built up areas what is wrong with poles. I appreciate the wires or fibre version can be damaged by wind,thieves ,branches etc but by putting them in ducts under the road which openreach are doing for many sections it seems that the communication industry is increasing its reliability at the expense of those that use the roads. This road I use regularly is an example, used to have a pole run but now at regular intervals you have some closely spaced man holes like this set.

In some places they are already sinking and the road breaking up around them so the journey on what was once a reasonable road is now thump thump thump every few hundred yards. And when they do need attention Murphy and his mates have to set up the set of traffic lights for a couple of days and hinder everyone whereas one time a man or two in yellow or earlier a green vans quickly stuck a ladder up the pole and got it done fairly quickly.

Oh and on such country roads you could get an indication of how sharp bends in the distance were by watching the line of poles though I accept that would be an unintentional fringe benefit.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Vulnerability to damage.

Ouside of town where there are no pavements teh ducts run under verges anbyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

These defects are usually caused when the road is resurfaced. They are not inherent in the original design. The cover is usa=ually bedded in sand to get the level correct, but rain wshed the sand away and things go wrong.

Pavements aren't usually very wide. Think of trying to get electricity, gas, telephones, foul drains and storm drains all underneath.

Reply to
charles

Had a biker mate once come of the road and hit a phone pole, he won't ever do it again mind;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

Agreed ,but i still don?t think the the telecoms industry should get security for its infrastructure if by doing so they create situations where road users and residents near loose manholes become affected.

The photo in the link I gave was on a road well out town, no verge for miles so they dug the trench and laid access point manholes in what had been a reasonable road surface buggering it for probably the next 50-100 Years. They could have negotiated with farmers etc and installed them just the other side of the hedge right in the edge of the fields, but that would cost money. Cheaper for openreach to f*ck up the road and people?s suspensions for decades to come.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Round here although properties are served by poles the connection from the poles goes underground to the street cabinet. The only places I have seen c abling totally supplied by poles is in country areas and even then it disap pears underground at some point to connect to the main trunk lines. I am su rprised there are manholes in the road the vast majority are usually in the pavement perhaps the manhole ended in the road following a road widening. Even Virgin extending their network in the vicinity were forced to dig a tr ench along a road but the manholes ended up at either end in the footpath.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

They should be ducting them ALONGSIDE the road instead of under it. However I presume that that'd mean extra cost in paying farmers for the right to do so. Long term that might well work out a lot cheaper than keep repairing the roads ... especially if you took into account wasted time for people using the roads.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Here we have a section of road connecting two towns. It is about 6 miles long, bordered by fields, grassy areas and the like for all exept 200m of its length. Some years ago we had many, many months of disruption as they entirely resurfaced it, with massive queues at rushhour. A couple of weeks after they finished it, contractors dug a trench, snaking back and forth along the entire length of it, to give one of the towns fibre TV!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Half down one side and half down the other. Connections to houses on other side to be buildt before the road or for later additions moled.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Maybe:-)

One of the nice things about utilities needing to cross your land is that they are obliged to pay the costs of professional advice: solicitors, land agents etc.

I have BT, National grid (8" medium pressure gas), several 11kV underground and overhead supplies. Also about 8km of public rights of way. This is a small farm.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We had a water main moled across the lane separating the farm yards. Much trepidation as in a single track highway with banks and hedges there is:- 3ph. 11kV, 8" gas, 12" surface water, 110mm sewer, 3ph. 415V and domestic gas!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

And especially under busy junctions - where we also have compley drain and services junctions! (ant traffic light signal cables. It would mean planning though!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The thing with that is that they'd need to negotiate with each landowner separately - and if one doesn't want to co-operate there's not much they can do. Meanwhile they have a legal right to put services in the highway and don't have to negotiate with anyone.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

Its interesting to think that why do the Yanks still insist on everything overhead especially in hurricane hit areas all that wind and yes that water too but its not impossible to make watertight service cabinets save a lot of time in the clear up afterwards, repairing all the windswept lines down!..

Reply to
tony sayer

We seem to insist on all the services under the roads when I would put them under the pavements or by the roads instead.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The problem is that with underground power, you have to shut the power off as soon as there is even ankle deep water in the streets. You don?t with power on street poles.

Reply to
Josh Nack

In article , Josh Nack scribeth thus

Not so you can make the underground equipment as waterproof as you want it!..

We do use under grounded HV and LV services already..

Reply to
tony sayer

The problem is that that isnt feasible with all the existing houses, and not really even viable with entirely new estates either.

Yes, but those areas get the power turned off when there is even ankle deep water. That isn't necessary with the power on street poles.

Reply to
Josh Nack

Difficult around these parts as the pavement is where people park their cars to avoid reducing traffic flow on the road.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

In article , Josh Nack scribeth thus

Why shouldn't it be, do bear in mind this is aimed at very flood prone locations!...

So how might the overhead poles be fed;?..

Reply to
tony sayer