DIY road markings!

Just called down the local shop and there are two new white lines outside here.

or

the front of the "diveway".

Two |------| shaped lines, parallel to each other. So I asked "Nasser, did you paint those?" He replied that the council had done it.

Now can anyone else ever recollect the council using white gloss paint for road marking?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I did once mark a driveway with a white line with bars at each end, because of problems with people parking across it. I used line marking spray paint and it worked very well. When the Council resurfaced the road, their contractors dutifully replaced the line with hot laid marking paint. It is now a permanent feature of the road.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It's called a "white H" and is a non-regulatory advisory marking. It is required to be done in highway marking compound, not decorator's paint, but I wouldn't put it past some cost-cutter at the council to try it.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Any requirement to put two "white H" lines down?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I knew someone who got one (and it was only one). I've never seen or heard of a double H. Perhaps it was a DIY job with the thought "double yellow lines are tougher than single so...."

As JGH said, councils can take action against those parking by dropped kerbs whether or not there is a marking. See eg

Robin

Reply to
Nightjar

Mine is the other way. There was an H when I moved in, but all the road markings were almost invisible. Came home one day to find they'd all been redone, except my H, which is now completely worn off. As yet, no one has parked across it though.

Actually they've all just been repainted for a second time since my H vanished, together with multi-coloured road finishings, which looked quite good for the 3 days before a utility came and dug it all up, and just used black tarmac to repair.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The tin of paint and wet brush was "hidden" behind a sack of potatoes.

I could smell gloss paint and I could see gloss paint in the road. I will take a photo later to show the double lines but I had left my camera on my bedside cabinet and could not take a photo today.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Round here it is an offence (obstruction) to park across a dropped kerb unless it leads to parking on your own property.

Thus we have soome roads with yellow lines to prevent commuter parking but the lines stop either side of a dropped kerb. This allows a householder to have one off-road parking space in front of their house (terraced houses - no garages) and park a second vehicle on the public highway - but nobody else can park there without their permission.

Continuous yellow lines are used where no on-road parking is permitted.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Reply to
The Other Mike

5 years in the Louvre
Reply to
geoff

Our lovcal high street has recently come under the council for parking. The street is cobbled, and the markings rapidly fail. They've been round recently with a can of the stuff they mark potholes with and re done the parking bays with it, so they can get more tickets.

They are also re-laying the cobbles, but the yellow lines and parking bays are being marked with the appropriate colour of block paving. previously barred as it is a conservation area.

What a difference it has made for the council to get parking ticket revenue.

(not a bad thing, the way it was (not) administered before!)

Reply to
<me9

It could be classed as criminal damage. However, provided what you paint is in accordance with the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions and does not require a traffic order (which yellow lines, for example, do) nobody is likely to either notice or bother.

There was a case a good many years ago where a woman, who had been campaigning for a SLOW sign on the road near a school painted one herself. She did it according to the TSRGR specification and the newspaper reported the Police raction as being that it is not illegal to paint road signs on the road.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Sheffield has just marked up some cycle paths (near Hallam Uni) and it's obvious that they've been done freehand in gloss paint.

Reply to
Huge

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

For using Windows Paint?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I think that this intrigues me more than the gloss paint on the road ;)

Reply to
marpate1

Easy, and not what you think. The earth pin for the charger has snapped off in that socket and it is the only socket I can now use in the house to recharge the camera.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

What does that say about the state of the electrics in an electrician's house :-)

Reply to
Clive George

It says that "Made in China" chargers are shit.

Reply to
ARWadsworth