drain cover repair

How to patch and then repair this broken drain cover?

had a 24inchx16inch metal drain cover over a 2footx4foot hole balanced on bits of stone.

Eventually I'd like to be able to park a car on it, for now I don't want kids falling in it!

How are drain covers done nowadays?

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

That looks like a standard BT/CATV footway chamber which should have two 600mm square covers - look around, you'll probably find plenty like it.

Get the right covers for it. The 24" x 16" cover was an obvious bodge and leaves plenty of opportunity for you car to drop into it - followed, of course, by the kids ...!

Alternatively, get another two 24" x 16" covers. That would be a stronger solution and more car proof - remember I said it looks like a FOOTWAY chamber?

Reply to
Terry Casey

Thank you Andy. And I did say "get another two 24" x 16" covers" i.e: the same as the existing one which, I assume, IS strong enough ...

The BT/CATV lids should be available somewhere as they are a pretty standard item - the BT/CATV or whatever marking is an option - blank ones are available.

As for not being for driving over, the way people park on the pavements round her, I'm sure they DO get driven over on a regular basis.

If it is only for a car, they might well be ok. The lid is actually a steel tray with concrete infill. There is also a central support available to fit under the join between the two.

Come to think of it, I've had to abort jobs in the past because someone's parked right on top of one! Fortunately it was never that vital that the job couldn't wait ...

Reply to
Terry Casey