OT: Reservoir security

How much security is ?normal? at a small rural reservoir?

I only ask as I sometime run past this one on a remote country road and it appears to have a rather OTT level of security.

The perimeter fence must be 3 meters high and is topped with electric fencing (anti-personnel, not for animals) and has 6 cameras providing total coverage of the perimeter.

Almost makes me wonder if this ?reservoir? isn?t what it claims to be...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

This one, nearish here:

has very little, if any, security IME.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

[drops out of lurk mode]

I think the reservoir is exactly what it is, they are just being overly cautious in the current climate, what with these mad bombers running around trying to blow stuff up!

Highly unlikely anyone would want to target such a remote plant, but then again. In the highly unlikely scenario they did, it would cause a hell of a lot of disruption for a lot of remote communities.

Couple of years back, I wanted to photograph a war memorial, located in the grounds of a water treatment plant up on the Lincolnshire wolds (built on the site of an old airfield). Wasn't allowed to just turn up, had to ring up and book an appointment and provide name, address etc and had to be escorted round site. Was not allowed to photograph anything other than the memorial and the exhibits in a little memorial room they had on site.

Guess they're not taking any chances either.

Best Wishes Simon T

Reply to
Simon T

That one seems to have a lot more than any I've noticed, any bigwigs live nearby likely to drink from it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Round our way, the reservoirs are pretty well open access and people walk their dogs round them sail boats on them and even - in the case of Derwent Water - fly Lancaster Bombers up and down and bounce dummy bombs on them. The pumping stations are pretty well protected, though. Are you sure that's not a pumping station?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I'll let you know if my FOI request produces anything :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

As it happens I was visiting someone near Birmingham yesterday. I wanted to take the precaution of emptying the dog, so I looked for somewhere near the end of our journey to walk her. We walked around a reservoir. It was dusk when we set off and dark by the time we got back to the van. We met a few other dog walkers. Since we install CCTV I'm always looking for cameras and I didn't see any. No IR floodlights either.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It has a sign saying "Brock Loch service reservoir" on it. Not sure what distinction having the word "service" in the name adds.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

At a pure guess it means it's holding treated water ready for delivery to customers.

The green fence wouldn't keep deer out on it's own. The CCTV does seem a bit OTT, as has been mentioned who lives nearby?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah. Not as pretty as this one though

Richard

Hmm, well in recent years since the privatisation of water, lots moor fencing seems to have been erected. However there are still some which are used for recreation I understand, and it would be hard to protect those. Maybe its for insurance purposes, IE if they don' have any and some Herbert drowned in it they might get sued.

Joke from the Lawyers Christmas lunch cracker. What do you call Santa's little helpers? Subordinate Clauses. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's not OTT at all for a drinking water supply. You can see virtually the same here (on the outskirts of Sheringham).

The purpose of the security is probably not to stop someone poisoning the water supply, but to alert operators to turn the supply off remotely before people get poisoned. :)

The 'electric fencing' is a sensor.

Reply to
GB

Most of the Gorbals, if it's part of this scheme

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The 3m fence is right in the centre of the picture - in the background. Specsavers ....

Reply to
GB

Interesting that the article says they were asked not to reveal the location, but Google maps shows it in one search....

Reply to
Chris Bartram

and a 2m fence at the most.

Reply to
charles

That's the decoy ;)

Reply to
Richard

Never seen an electrified deer fence before and if deer were the target, just a higher fence would do.

Hardly anybody lives nearby. A couple of farms and maybe a few houses.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It's actually 3m or so. I walk past there occasionally.

Reply to
GB

Doing an internet search for ?Brock Loch Service reservoir? brings up nothing. Not listed anywhere as a reservoir that I can find.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+