OT: Reservoir security

I've drifting into CBA territory :)

This has happened before. I wonder if its one particular server or posting software ?

Odd that it seems to render *all* subsequent replies impossible to respond to. Every post in that thread gives the same report (which suggests it's more my newreaders problem ...)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Eh? who knows As I say, maybe the insurance of an unprotected one is too costly. Does anyone remember that doomwatch where somebody stole a billet of plutonium in a scin sealed plastic sheeth and slit it and lobbed it into a resousvior. Very nasty. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A common ancestor in the thread it objects to?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I did. When I called to pick the girlfriend up for a holiday trip we told her mother we were staying in boarding houses, but the old cow snook out and looked through the van window, saw the mattress and played hell. A difficult moment.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes, I had the same problem which appears to be that the link shows the camers pointing strauight down to the road.

This one is better:

However, it doesn't look very much like a resrvoir to me.

This used to be a nice place to walk around the water's edge on a sunny afternoon, but not any more - no electric fences but they definitely want you to enter!

However, there is still a fishery shown on the far side of the reservoir but Google obviously couldn't get any further than the gate:
If you zoom in you can see cars in the distance,, but there is no way of seeing what hoops you might have to jump though to get that far.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Good point, Brian. Kids, if you see your mates attempting to buy plutonium in a store local to you, don't be afraid to ask the staff if they have seen the age- appropriate ID for taking home such a toxic product. Under-age plutonium buyers are a menace and this practice must be stamped out.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Best to have them a distance from the camera to stop reflection from rain close to the camera and not much else!

Reply to
Fredxx

Bro is 6' 4" - he wasn't keen on front seats. Anyway, a double sleeping bag, aka shagbag...

Reply to
PeterC

I used to run a water treatment plant. Treated water can easily be recontaminated. You can't even hold a few gallons of drinking water in a tank in your house.

Reply to
harry

Better tell them then:

Richard

+1

Waste water?

Which is why the reservoirs of treated water are covered and have (varying) levels of security. Our water now comes from Burnhope reservoir towards the top of Weardale. This water is treated at Burnhope and is gravity/syphonic fed to us. There is a holding reservoir to supply Nenthead and another above Alston. We are connected directly to the mains and AFAIK directly back to Burnhope. These holding reservoirs have fences and locked gates but little else.

Legally may be but untill recently *all* the water used here went through 150 gallons of roof tanks. And when we moved in a mottly collection of dead wild life in the bottom of the tanks mostly beetles but one mouse. I did clean them out and fit proper covers...

Before mains water arrived about 35 years ago the supply was a bit erractic and at that time this place was a B&B and Tea Rooms. I might reduce the volume of stored water as and when but there is no way I'm not going to remove it. No water for a few days due to an interuption in supply when the roads are impassable due to snow, no thank you.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The way Harry has proclaimed on this group over the years that he has run this or that despite his postings show that he makes some really silly statements about things reinforces my belief that he was a swat at school but the teachers realising he wasn?t that bright educated him in the art of getting qualifications rather than a actually stretch any intelligence. This enabled him to hoodwink a succession of employers that gave him supervisory positions where he could stay out of the way supported on the shoulders of others who got in with the jobs while played at being manager which suited his narcissistic character that grew out of being a spoiled brat until finally he was rumbled and got rid of. He seems to have ended up within the NHS where due to the chaotic nature of working in a large public sector organisation he managed to hide his incompetence under the radar quite well. Unfortunately leeches like him tend to go throw life getting redundancy and other payments leaving a trail of damage behind them.

GH

Reply to
Marland

That's Hangingfield reservoir so drive around to the other side, park in the large car park, visit the Essex Wildlife Trust Centre on the waters edge - with trails around part of the perimeter with hides for bird watching.

Or just park on the straight bit of road overlooking the water

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6464373,0.4874173,3a,73.7y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTAJ_PTf0dlZbcj9bhwoUeA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656http://www.essexwt.org.uk/reserves/hanningfield-reservoir

alan_m

And where does it say it's treated water?

Reply to
harry

In the main body of the article where it says ?Hewlett distribution service reservoir receives treated water from the Mythe treatment works at Tewkesbury.? Followed by ?they take water from the river Severn where it is treated and pumped 10 miles to Hewletts where it feeds Cheltenham. Is a pretty big clue.

But then you never read beyond the headline or looking at the Pictures so you once again prove you are an idiot and mistaken yet again. Heck this place is not that far from you and you still get it wrong.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Thanks for that. I doubt he can see much with his head up his arse.

Reply to
Richard

Probably what inspired his oft-used phrase 'shit-fer-brains'. It got up his nose or in through his ears.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I've always had the impression he was the sort that thrive in big orgs like the NHS. Ever ready to volunteer for the sort of commitees and activities that suck up to manglement and avoid the real job. And not much missed by colleagues doing real work who are glad he is out of the way of doing any real damage.

Reply to
DJC

Reply to
Jethro_uk