OT:Poisons ...

Quite - the effect exists, but in most circumstances it will fail to work and the drinker will die a nasty death. Either way round, it is quite irresponsible to publish ideas in a newsgroup which are readily capable of misinterpretation and potentially lethal - albeit technically correct. Far better to ignore that technicality. I trust the person referred to above was charged with murder and incarcerated for life.

Reply to
Bob Henson

You were quite technically correct - but my point is that others may misinterpret such a comment as an invitation to try it out, and in practice it is almost certain not to work, and to result in damage or death - hence it was quite irresponsible to mention it in a public forum. Better to forget technicalities and concentrate on common sense.

Reply to
Bob Henson

in order to get the participants 'lit up'

Lit up! .. Like it!. Mind you some of the student parties and booze and drug fuelled events even later it's amazing what can go into a "punch bowl" mix and people still lived. Most anything to hand in a kitchen was used kettle descaler, washing up liquid, misc herbs and spices and Oxo cubes floor and bog cleaner, lighter fuel and I'm sure if there had been any meths around that'd been added for good measure;!...

And to think of all those doing "flaming eddies" and igniting their farts its a wonder the places didn't explode!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Herbs -- eeeuw!

No WD40 then...

Reply to
a_lurker

I'm sure that would have been used if to hand;!(..

Herbs tho were mainly for the smoking off but theres herbs and err herb..

Reply to
tony sayer

On BPSA(*) trips my college used to smuggle bottles of chloroform out of the pharmacognosy labs. There is something very strange, on a coach trip, when you have a chloroform soaked pad thrust into your face from the occupants of the seat behind.

Cheers

Mark

(*) British Pharmaceutical Students Association

Reply to
Ferretygubbins

In article , Bob Henson writes

I certainly didn't see the original post as promoting any kind of hazardous activity. I saw it as an exceptionally useful advisory that it might be possible to save a life in the case of accidental ingestion of methanol by offering a balancing dose of something containing ethanol. Just what might be required in the remote reaches of Scotland where A&E may be some hundreds of miles away but hard liquor will generally be close at hand :-).

Whilst I haven't been close to ingesting methanol recently I have, whilst tired, been close to taking a slug from a glass containing iso-propyl alcohol that I was using to clean some parts rather than the beer bottle that was near it.

Btw, thanks for sharing your pharmacological knowledge in recent threads, most welcome.

Reply to
fred

The daft thing about this is that his reasoning behind giving the first drinks as meths in order to get people 'lit up' faster may well have been wrong. An experiment I conducted showed that intoxication is quicker (and required a lower dose) the longer the carbon chain within the alcohol (ie methanol was slowest, then ethanol, propanol, butanol etc). Admittedly the experimental subjects used were goldfish so the results may not track directly but this was one of the stranger days in the lab...

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Ferretygubbins

In message , Ferretygubbins writes

It probably was based on false reasoning. Absorption and distribution of methanol in body water is faster in humans, but it may not cross cell membranes as readily.

That's not an experiment we could perform on humans, of course; would you even be allowed to do it on goldfish these days?.

Reply to
a_lurker

H & S has changed things somewhat these days. I can remember coming out of the labs at University when a roomful of us had been doing chloroform extractions only to find the taste of chloroform on my breath the moment I hit fresh air (with a lower partial pressure, of course). The scary bit was how long it took to clear. No-one bothered in those days - but I dare say things are different now. Probably a geiger counter in the semi-underground radioactive dispensing lab wouldn't pick up the Cobalt 60 source in a supposedly radiation-proof concrete blockhouse about 150 yards away either

- but it did then.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Did you read the article?

"Methanol poisoning can be treated with the antidotes ethanol or fomepizole.[26][29][30] Both drugs act to reduce the action of alcohol dehydrogenase on methanol by means of competitive inhibition,"

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That was on House MD.

Reply to
Tim Watts

What's House MD? Oh. Don't have satellite TV. Better things to do (like newsgroups!)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I'm watching it on Netflix.

The medicine is bollocks but nevertheless, interesting if you google to see what a particular disease *actually* does and how it's treated.

Oh and every week it's a lumbar puncture or a bone marrow aspiration. Or both!

And the doctors do their own lab work, 50% of their own operations and break into peoples houses for background data. Wish my GP took such a detailed interest!

But I like Hugh Laurie - never seen him in a non comedy role before.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Even if the medicine doesn't hang together throughout an episode - and people seem to have several lifetimes of illness inside a few hours or days at the hospital - it can certainly set the mind going. I always want to work it out for myself.

Reply to
polygonum

Here's a few that would have liked to be less lit-up - from this morning mail.

Bob Henson