OT; Piggin customers

Got a phone call Wednesday evening from an irate lady, heavy African accent, quite difficult to understand.

She wanted to know when I was going to come back & finish putting up her window blinds. It was 6 weeks ago, and I'd only put 2 screws in the brackets, and I'd promised to come back & finish off.

Recognised the name (unusual), didn't recall the address or job, but then I fit an awful lot of blinds. Not the sort of thing I do though, leaving screws out. Starting to wonder if its age or the demon drink affecting my memory.

Arranged to call on Friday to sort it out.

Door opened by small African woman. "Are you Grace?" I asked. "Yes, who are you?" she replied.

I explained that she called me & berated me about not fitting her blinds properly.

"Oh dear, it wasn't you" she admitted. Turned out she had called me & someone else for a quote (which is why I recalled the name) and gone for the other guy who was cheaper. She had then got mixed up.

I wouldn't mind so much, but when she apologised she said "Sorry, it wasn't you, the other chap was much slimmer"!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hope you suggested to her that she made the wrong choice as you wouldn't have done what the other guy did .

Reply to
.

AH but did you finish the job properly and not charge? Thus winning her good will and possibly future work over the other chap?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In her culture, she may have been complimenting you!

Reply to
RubberBiker

Did you fix the blinds for her ?

Reply to
Franko

You must be the only person I know that runs a business and does not keep proper records of estimates, jobs and invoices. Post too much and you will have the Inland Revenue after you. You do sound like a bit of a cowboy after reading some other posts. Have you been on ITV Homes From Hell?

Reply to
Clive

No, he's just an opinionated pillock. And not just in this newsgroup. His posts in uk.telecom.broadband are laughable.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't you recognise the tiscali idiot yet?

Reply to
Clive George

LOL

Your time wasted and free abuse to go with it.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You missed the fact that Clive is a bell end.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Just FOAD will you.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

please read the post correctly before slagging people off, TMH said

He recalled her name as he quoted for the work, he didn't get the job so wouldn't have an invoice to refer to. TMH presumably threw the quote away if he had done a paper one, but I presume a lot of this type of work is done on a verbal quote being only short hours, high frequency fodder.

John

Reply to
John

Not an unusual problem. The first thing my front desk people do if someone phones up with a problem is to ask for the post code. The second thing is to check that to see if they are past customers. A surprisingly large proportion are not. Obviously, if we can help them out we will anyway - it often gains them as a customer for us.

In which case, now is probably the time to do something about the stroke / heart attack / diabetes risk.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:34:29 +0000, "nightjar" In which case, now is probably the time to do something about the stroke

One of my favourites from Private Eye's modern nursery rhymes was:

Jack Spratt eats lots of fat His wife eats lots of sweeties Jack has had a heart attack His wife's got diabetes.

(Joke, OK?: I know your views on diet & health Dave!)

Reply to
John Stumbles

a.. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans. b.. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans. c.. The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans. d.. The Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans. e.. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans. Conclusion: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Gorchwyl da, mi siara cymraeg!

On the other hand, I think the disease rate for most things is as bad in Wales. Certainly gastric cancers were when I was looking into this a few years ago - soft water, I believe is the issue.

Reply to
Clot

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

Bitte ?

Ich sprech bloooos Deutsch

Reply to
geoff

Not as bitter as where I come from. As quoted by Oz out of Aufedersien Pet.

Too many rules....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Only a little bit :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No. TBH I don't really want to work for people like her.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman