OT: "Pedestrian" lights

There are quiet a lot of plants that make a little cyanide.

Laurel leaves are one of the classics.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

On the other hand, apples are deemed to be edible whereas laurel leaves are not.

I always used to eat all of an apple, including core and pips, until my wife told me that they "contain" cyanide (OK, it turns out they contain something that the body turns into cyanide, but it's a fine distinction). I survived to the age of mid-40s, eating an apple and its pips most days, without any ill effects. Even now, I sometimes forget and eat some/all of the core and therefore some/all of the pips - but don't tell my wife ;-)

Reply to
NY

Brazil nuts.

Reply to
Tim Streater

How shit and piss is disposed of wasn?t included in the list of what you are not allowed to do on the sabbath.

Reply to
Alex

It's only if you munch the pips that your digestion will get at their innards and produce a little cyanide. Unchewed pips will almost certainly just go straight through you.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, the time on the oven is settable, up to 72 hours.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The means of how you get to your synagogue doesn't exclude pressing a button either.

Reply to
Fredxx

Gotta lurve all that old time religion...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think you are just going round in circles, Fred. If you have any new questions, I'll do my best to answer, but otherwise I'll leave you to argue with Rod.

Reply to
GB

That lack of a substantial reply goes to show how silly and inane a few words are interpreted by humans.

Reply to
Fredxx

but historically people didn't "flush" the toilet at time of use

you did your business into a receptacle that was emptied at a later time (not on the Sabbath)

Reply to
tim...

No

I mean that the lights cycling onto the ped phase every XX seconds, imposes a wait of up to XX seconds on anyone who would otherwise want to press the button, and in light traffic (which is a given seeing as many are not allowed to drive) expect the ped phase to arrive sooner then that.

I guess that pressing the button might override the wait and change sooner, but the same solution isn't going to work for the Shabbat lift

Reply to
tim...

bad luck if you forget to set it "yesterday"

Reply to
tim...

tim... snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

There is nothing in that list of what you cant do on the sabbath that says you can't empty it on the sabbath.

And you don?t know that they all used receptacles that were emptied after use either.

Reply to
Alex

ok problem solved then

:-)