OT: "Pedestrian" lights

Bonkers to me too, presumably turning on/off light switches was deemed an extension to kindling/extinguishing a fire back in the days of incandescent light bulbs, but is a CFL or LED a "fire"?

If it's OK for a Jew to tailgate a non-Jewish person through an automatic door, can you *ask* a non-jew to approach a door so you can benefit from it being open? Can you ask siri to open a door for you?

Similarly with Eruvs (sp?) it's amazing the mind-tricks you can play on yourself, essentially because of a washing line ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

But they WORK hard not to get there!

Reply to
alan_m

You are such a lovely, big-hearted guy. So generous of spirit.

Reply to
GB

I totally agree, but that's partly because the word work is a mistranslation of the Jewish concept of Melacha. There's no equivalent word in English.

Do you really think that you can criticise the concept in any sensible way without understanding the concept in the first place?

You have no basis for saying that, have you?

Reply to
GB

AIUI, it's allowable to have a lift, provided that on saturdays it goes into a special mode where it just shuffles up and down the building, all day long, opening the doors at every floor, with no intervention required.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Rod Speed snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

It's essentially a draconian example of 'mission creep'.

Genesis 2:2-3

2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Exodus 20:8-11

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

In many respects it was probably originally well-intentioned (forcing the ruling classes and the bosses to give the lesser-mortals one day off each week). However, 'The road to hell is paved with good intentions'.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Are you suggesting that in a tower block, one resident jew would expect everyone to have to put up with lifts operating all the time, opening and closing on every floor on the Saturday?

Reply to
Fredxx

I suspect you're talking about events in what was the the Palestine Mandate.

It was under UK administration, but not part of the UK.

If not please give a cite.

However: ?With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion.? (Steven Weinberg)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I looked it up too.

Apparently they used to employ gentiles to do things they weren't allowed to do, but time switches have made that largely unnecessary.

One thing that surprised me was that you are not allowed to put on reading glasses - only ones you wear all the time.

Not even to read the bible.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes, that would work - but I can see it being incredibly annoying for non-jewish residents in the same block of flats.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I am aware that gentiles must be used for certain purposes, even the opening and closing of car doors if being driven.

Some might wonder why a religion goes out of its way to create an exclusive club that treats everyone else as near slaves. Perhaps to instil hatred and maintain insularity over the centuries?

I wasn't aware of that.

Reply to
Fredxx

Nor me. Cite, please!

Reply to
GB

From the list of 39 forbidden things, I can see where they started from, as way of clarifying what is "work", but to then apply them to more and more things is where the madness creeps in ... I can't believe in a modern world there hasn't been cry to "f*ck all this, can't we rationalise a bit?"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Religious Jews would simply walk up. My wife and I were staying in an hotel over the sabbath. On the tenth floor. We walked up. I would have taken the lift, but, as she walked up, so did I.

If we had been unable to walk up, we'd have asked for a room on a lower floor, of course. Failing which, we'd have had to make a decision what to do.

Reply to
GB

Very annoying!

I stayed in an hotel in Israel, where they had one lift in that mode and the others in normal mode. Getting into the wrong lift was a *****!

Reply to
GB

I respect her and your choices.

What would that decision have been if you had already paid and the only available room was on the 10th floor?

Reply to
Fredxx

Buy enough fruit and cornflakes to last 24 hours, I expect.

Reply to
GB

Who was insisting that?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've already said in the past few days (here or somewhere else), I did exactly the same. Room on 14th floor - got in the Shabbat lift - resolved to learn enough Hebrew to recognise a notice saying "Shabbat Lift".

Reply to
Ian Jackson

And presumably Friday night; I think it's dusk to dusk.

Reply to
Bob Eager