OT: PDF viewer for Windows

Can anyone recommend a good free PDF viewer for Windows 7? Preferably not Adobe.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 44th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.
Huge wrote:

PDF-Xchange is working well for me. It's nice to be able to avoid anything Adobe.
On 09/07/2015 11:52, Huge wrote:

Foxit reader can be ok - make sure you do a customer install to drop any added "bonus" apps. It can have difficulty running some javascript in custom form fields though.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 09/07/2015 12:08, John Rumm wrote:

+1 for Foxit.
Cheers
--
Syd

On 09/07/2015 12:26, Syd Rumpo wrote:

+1 for PDF-Xchange
Any recommendations for a PDF printer driver, anyone?
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 13:33:24 +0100, GB wrote:

By far the best is PDF Factory Pro, but it's money! There is a version which puts, IIRC, a footnote across saved PDFs, but it's not too obtrusive. My installation doesn't mark the PDF for some reason :-) PDF24 could be OK - I tried most of them about 12 years ago, so any info. is badly out of date. PDF Factory was by far the most ergonomic, flexible and convenient (useable) and I'm still using the same old version.
PDF-XChange Editor is very good with excellent support via the forum: http://www.tracker-software.com/forum3/index.php? http://www.tracker-software.com/
Because of the name of the company I did a lot of research before using its software!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 09/07/2015 14:08, PeterC wrote:

I bought Fineprint PDFFactory quite a few years ago. Version 5.5. When I installed win XP a couple of years later, PDFFactory stopped working, and FinePrint told me to pay full price for the newer version. They seemed to have no concept that it might be a maintenance issue for them to see to. Nor that customers won't want to buy the same software from them repeatedly.
So, no, I won't be using that company again.
On Thu, 09 Jul 2015 14:16:39 +0100, GB wrote:

That's bad. I'm still on XP and using v3.5!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
GB wrote:

Bullzip PDF, free for home and small business use, can do merge printing (e.g. from sage onto an invoice template) it uses ghostscript for its rendering engine.
writes

I've been using CutePDF for number of years. Has always worked fine.
--
Chris French

On 09/07/2015 21:19, Chris French wrote:

+1 - I use that on Windows PCs at home. And it's used on the 5,000+ PCs at work, which likely says something about something.
Would it be churlish to mention PDF printing/reading is built in to macs? ;-)
--
Cheers, Rob

[29 lines snipped]

Not necessarily churlish, but I'm happy to put the idea to my Mother, assuming you're willing to pay for the Mac, fly the Atlantic to install it, teach my Mother to use it (she's 83) and answer the support calls thereafter?
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 45th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 10/07/2015 11:04, Huge wrote:

I'll leave it with you ;-)
A mate comes round from time to time to plan holidays using my computer - internet searches, emails, maps, printing. He's (only) 65, and has no formal IT training. I tried to help him with Windows ( was a trainer for 10 years so know roughly what I'm doing). He actually broke down in tears once. For some reason the 'start' button completely phased him. So he gave up.
For the past year or so, though, he's been using my Mac. The only thing I've helped him with has been to enter passwords (he seems to have difficulty entering even written down passwords) and explaining how to wake the computer (hit any key).
I bought a new iMac the other week. The old one was 6 years old, never missed a beat, but I thought why not. Up and running a replica of my old one in an hour, with about 45 seconds of intervention from me. Sold the old one for nearly half what I paid 6 years ago.
--
Cheers, Rob

I've worked in IT since 1975 and FWIW, I have a Linux Mint 17 desktop, a Windows 7 desktop (strictly my wife's), a Windows 7 laptop (strictly my employers) and a Macbook Air.
They're all shit in their own way.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 45th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.

!, you couldn't make it up!.
Old friend of mine now 83 years old has had a CRT Mac for years till it expired.
Gave him an old Win 7 box and he said,
"wish I'd have had one of these years ago, it's just so much simpler to use"!....
--
Tony Sayer

On 10/07/2015 16:38, tony sayer wrote:

:-)
I have to say, aspects of the Mac are diabolical - the Finder (equivalent of explorer) defies logic - for example. And I do find Win7 pretty good.
--
Cheers, Rob

[32 lines snipped]

The Finder is a piece of junk.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 46th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.
Huge wrote:

And unnecessary. To quote my mother, "It's where you left it".
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Reminds me of a definition of computer programming I saw many years ago;
"Moving things about and remembering where you put them."
--
Today is Boomtime, the 46th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.

Yes thats fine, used that one for years too!...
--
Tony Sayer