Before you throw away that fridge...

See, sometimes when you keep something in the "might come in handy" pile, you do find a use for it:

John Rumm

"I saved the metal shelves that went in it before lobbing the remainder in a skip"

Surely you aren't allowed to simply "lob an old fridge in the skip" in these environmentally conscious times?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I did not hear the skip complain ;-)

It was a peltier effect cooler type of design - no compressor or gas... It was fairly useless when new (it could not drop more than about 5 deg below ambient, and had a minimum setting of 11 deg C), so it could manage a bit cooler, but never chilled.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hopefully you harvested the peltier(s). External insulation can get more cooling, but its never pretty.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I was expecting a more innovative use of the body. Raised bed, cold frame, fishtank, hydroponics, parts storage?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I am convinced that everything in that pile will find a use, someday. :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

My problem is often that I know I've got it but I can't find it.

Or I then realise after several hours' hunting for it that I already used it for something else.

Turning the former kitchen ceiling into a hall cupboard was quite a good bit of re-use, I thought, and I still have quite a lot of ceiling left.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You can lob it into someone elses skip at night.

Reply to
ARW

I harvested the shelves...

Reply to
John Rumm

Nice.

I find that the drawer from a freezer we threw away a long time ago still works well, upside-down, for draining sanitized homebrew bottles. The necks fit in the holes in the grid but don't touch the surface below.

And here's why you want to save the cut-outs from installing sinks:

"Handyman Corner", starting at 5:37. (Some of the other sketches are pretty good too.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

I saved an old small non working under counter fridge with the intention of using it to store rust prone tools but I couldn't stand the look of it in the workshop

Reply to
fred