OT: 'Our Energy'. Is it going to work?

I'm not sure if everyone has seen this but the is a crowdfunder 'Our Energy' trying to get into the energy supply market (and nearly have the 200K they need to get started).
http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/ourenergy
It looks like it should be good idea (ignoring any links to 'Green energy ' etc) but does the panel think it will fly?
Could the big 6 stop them somehow?
Is it something like GiffGaff or the possibly the soon to be gone, CoOp? ;-(
What about the morality ... if they took some profits away from any of the generators (not the solar PV or wind white elephant / distractions), would that mean less investment in the infrastructure and generation (bad?) ... or just less profit for their shareholders (good?)?
Cheers, T i m
On Thursday, 16 February 2017 22:13:11 UTC, T i m wrote:

Why is less profit for shareholders good?
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 00:52:11 -0800 (PST), harry

'magic' do you harry? ;-(
It's as if it really doesn't matter where it comes from as long as it all goes to you (or a few shareholders).
Maybe now we have crowdfunding we don't actually need shareholders any more?
Cheers, T i m
On 17/02/2017 09:01, T i m wrote:

You are I trust aware that most shares are now held by pension funds?
Wreck shareholder returns, and the pension crisis gets worse.
And if you say "what crisis?" you must be a civil servant.
Andy

No. It's Tim "Just dim".
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 49th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

What is more important? Investing for the future of industry and the country - or paying pensioners? You might look at Greece for a clue.

I have a company pension from a non state company which is doing nicely, thanks.
--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

I wouldn't use Greece as an exemplar for anything financial.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 51st day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.

Quite - except as a warning when you have the wrong priorities.
--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

going broke because you pay pensions to people aged 55 has got absolutely nothing to do with not being able to pay them because your investment opportunities didn't stack up well enough
tim

Lots in the UK take early retirement with a pension at age 55.
--
*Life is hard; then you nap

sometimes you are forced to do so, although in my case I was 56.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Its different if you take a pension from a fund covered by investments to one that is funded by tax.
Its why the public sector pensions are unsustainable, there is no fund.
On Tuesday, 21 February 2017 13:27:29 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

What about SAUL ? http://www.saul.org.uk/
I've been paying in for over 30 years.

Have you been following this thread at all?

You think private pensions are paid out from a fund, rather than investment income?
And at least some of that investment income comes from government bonds.
--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

Like hell they are.

Doesn’t need to be, what they pay is raised as taxation, stupid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39026975
Good luck Andy

Thanks for reminding me about that, having only just calmed down from my rant about it on Farcebuk.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 51st day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 22:12:15 +0000, Vir Campestris

Yes, for what many of them are worth (irrespective of 'Our Energy').

Yup. But isn't the whole pension can-of-worms itself in need of a huge rework (the fact that they a reliant on share returns to support their members for example)?

I think I was once when I did 5 years with BT but only that. I'll not see that pension for another 5 years (assuming I live that long etc) and I'll probably be able to cover my broadband bill with it when I do. ;-(
Cheers, T i m

You can't rely on share returns if the company you've invested in goes out of business. Through lack of investment.
The point I was making is there has to be a balance between the two. And that taking too much out of the company can result in it going out of business.
--
*Windows will never cease *

It seems to me that this whole energy market thing is smoke and mirrors in the first place. After all energy suppliers are just selling cheaper or more expensive admin services to allow you to pay for the energy. I agree if they want to buy , say gas or anything at certain times the prices vary, but even that is artificial as electrical energy is generated even if nobody is using it. Brian
--
----- -