OT: 'Our Energy'. Is it going to work?

It seems credible.

Or unless it's tracked by the supplier for you with them just making enough to keep in the black?

Understood.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, it was 450 and as they still have some days to go it sorta makes sense?

I think you could make that stand if you might lose any money, but as I understand it, if they don't get the lot within the allotted time all pledgers get their money back?

Well, without any fog in this fight I think that might be a bit harsh as it could be just them playing the numbers game to get the best for everyone? If they needed 200k as a minimum but can do better (for everyone) with more at the get-go, then why not go for it?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Nothing particularly, just nice if you can share it around a bit more. ;-)

Not knowingly I'm not. ;-)

Funnily I generally brown before I burn. ;-)

Who? Does he know more about this 'Our Energy' thing then? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No it isn't! That's why solar and wind cause problems. As the energy generated by them goes up and down you have to throttle some other source of electricity to make sure you don't generate too much.

Variable demand also causes problems but its more predictable than wind/solar.

Reply to
dennis

Brian Gaff brought next idea :

Actually that is only partially true. Generators can be turning, but not actually being used to generate much if any power. As such they will not consume much fuel or energy to keep them turning over. Once they need to meet a demand, then they have to be fed with more mechanical energy - just like your car's generator (alternator).

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Electricity cannot be produced that is not used. A[part from Dinorwig the Grid has no storage at all.

Brian is totally wrong

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Generators do have to be turned for a while before they can be used to generate. The turbines have to be spun and brought to temperature. The turbine, has a solid connection to the generators. So the generators can and do run, without doing any useful work.

Generation cannot be instantly turned on and off, it takes time to ramp up and time to ramp down, which is why being able to accurately predict demand is so important, so as to have generation running ready to meet the demand.

Once running, it is cheaper to keep them online, which is why we see the price breaks of E7 etc..

So Brian was partially correct.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Do you know who I am?

Grandmother, eggs, suck, teach

"electrical energy is generated even if nobody is using it" Is a false statement, Its not 'partially correct' Its just plain false.

Spinning reserve is not generating electricity.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You are I trust aware that most shares are now held by pension funds?

Wreck shareholder returns, and the pension crisis gets worse.

And if you say "what crisis?" you must be a civil servant.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

No. It's Tim "Just dim".

Reply to
Huge

The Natural Philosopher explained on 18/02/2017 :

I am well aware of you and your website.

Strictly speaking, if a generator is rotating it must be generating some power, even if that power is only utilised to power the station itself. As soon as a generator is running, up to temperature and in sync, it will be placed on line. At which point adding more input power, it will be generating.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Do you know how much I despise anyone who uses that phrase?

Reply to
Huge

Strictly speaking you are wrong. It may be USING power (to overcome heatlosses and bearing friction and to drive pumps) but it ain't GENERATING any.

Which is correct but utterly contradicts your previous statement that it was generating BEFORE you added mire input power or even got it in sync.

You can spin a dynamo or alternator forever but until you draw current, it ain't generating anything more trhan whooshy over your head at 30000 feet noises.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Paying out to shareholders before investing in the future is what killed most of the UK owned manufacturing industry. If you are interested, look at how Germany invested in its car industry versus the UK in UK owned ones.

Hence there not being any UK owned major car maker left. Or very little else, come to that.

Of course it's now all 'let's put Britain first' Provided you can do this without investment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm using Flipper. I pay them to find the best deal, and they check 4 times a year. And move things for me if they find a better one.

I might have my own views about a car etc insurer, but gas and electricity aren't the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What is more important? Investing for the future of industry and the country - or paying pensioners? You might look at Greece for a clue.

I have a company pension from a non state company which is doing nicely, thanks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The answer is 'Ask that nice nurse over there'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wouldn't use Greece as an exemplar for anything financial.

Reply to
Huge

Tel us how they did then just after the war as we were paying back thre USA by giving them theen jet engine, and we were still paying them back until 2006 !

Look up teh marshal plan and teh 130 billion dollars (equiv) where did that come from?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Quite - except as a warning when you have the wrong priorities.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)