OT: 'Our Energy'. Is it going to work?

Are you saying Germany is only a successful manufacturing country because it got handouts from the US? If not, please explain what you do mean.

It's also odd the US has that vast rust belt if it got handouts from us.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pretty much and don't forget Japan.

Handouts or loan repayment and remind me where the USA got it rocket scient ists from.

In 1947, the Marshall Plan, initially known as the "European Recovery Progr am" was initiated. In the years 1947-1952, some $13 billion of economic and technical assistance?-equivalent to around $130 billion in 2006? ??were allocated to Western Europe. Despite protests from many benefici aries, the Marshall Plan, although in the less generous form of loans, was in 1949 extended to also include the newly formed West Germany. In the year s 1949-1952, West Germany received loans which totaled $1.45 billion, equiv alent to around $14.5 billion in 2006.

Reply to
whisky-dave

And if he does mean that, perhaps he can explain how it is we're where we are, given that we got more than twice as much money from the Marshall Plan as Germany (and indeed, more than any other recipient).

Huge

going broke because you pay pensions to people aged 55 has got absolutely nothing to do with not being able to pay them because your investment opportunities didn't stack up well enough

tim

Reply to
tim...

Yes, for what many of them are worth (irrespective of 'Our Energy').

Yup. But isn't the whole pension can-of-worms itself in need of a huge rework (the fact that they a reliant on share returns to support their members for example)?

I think I was once when I did 5 years with BT but only that. I'll not see that pension for another 5 years (assuming I live that long etc) and I'll probably be able to cover my broadband bill with it when I do. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :

Of course it is generating, what is driving the feed pumps?

Once in sync it has to either generate some electrical output, or consume. It might be idling, but even at idle it outputs some power. The volts are there.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Good luck Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Possibly the grid.

Volts are not watts.

In sync it can be either driving the grid, or being driven by it. Or nicely in balance, and doing neither.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Almost certainly the national grid

BUt lets face it, in order to generate as *you* define it, you just need a pack of coal and a hearth..

Not feeding the grid but obviously 'generating'.

Which is why no one but you uses such a stupid definition of 'generating'

# Oh dear. watts is volts times amps. If amps are zero power is zero.

There are volts in a battery sitting in a shelf,. How much power is it 'generating'

Sigh.

Refresher course in basic electromagnetism ?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for reminding me about that, having only just calmed down from my rant about it on Farcebuk.

Reply to
Huge

The Natural Philosopher pretended :

None, batteries do not generate at all, ever.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, but they don't 'Generate' electricity (which I think is the point Harry is making).

"In electricity generation, a generator[1] is a device that converts mechanical energy to electrical energy for use in an external circuit."

So, a battery would 'transform' chemical, into electrical energy, which is not a 'mechanical' process.

I disagree with Harry on the idling generator 'generating' energy though (when 'generating' would be taken as 'energy being released outside of the / a closed system').

When I was racing EV's I would see my (permanent magnet, DC) motor consume energy on the uphill bits and generate energy on the downhill bits. On some of the bits in between it was still spinning in proportion to the road speed but was only consuming it's background (no load) current. On the slight downhill bits it consumed no power at all. ;-)

(Which is why it's said you should always let the engine be spun by the decelerating car rather than coast and force the engine to maintain idle itself, if you are looking for the best fuel economy).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Lots in the UK take early retirement with a pension at age 55.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can't rely on share returns if the company you've invested in goes out of business. Through lack of investment.

The point I was making is there has to be a balance between the two. And that taking too much out of the company can result in it going out of business.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

sometimes you are forced to do so, although in my case I was 56.

Reply to
charles

Its different if you take a pension from a fund covered by investments to one that is funded by tax.

Its why the public sector pensions are unsustainable, there is no fund.

Reply to
dennis

What about SAUL ?

I've been paying in for over 30 years.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Have you been following this thread at all?

You think private pensions are paid out from a fund, rather than investment income?

And at least some of that investment income comes from government bonds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting that that excludes fuel cells.

Hmm. If the engine is spinning at say 3000RPM surely that'll take more energy than it would if you let it drop back to tickover.

Though I daresay there aren't many occasions when you really want that maximum roll, and aren't braking down a hill or stopping.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Oh, its also a demonstration of the poor command of English that remoaner people have.

Other things than those that are called 'generators', 'generate electricity' As you have just pointed out.

T i m, being funadamentally brain damaged thinks that because all cows have 4 legs, anything with 4 legs is a cow.

He also has trouble reading slogans on the side of buses.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher