OT: 'Our Energy'. Is it going to work?

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 22:13:09 +0000, T i m wrote:

It's an energy co-operative. Hardly anything new. If they stay as a co- operative, and have a water-tight constitution, then they should be able to avoid being snapped up due to members greed (c.f. Halifax et al).
If they could guarantee they'd invest solely in nuclear, I might learn more ....
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 09:22:15 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk

Quite. My BIL did something similar by approaching one of the big suppliers with a few hundred potential customers and they agreed a reduced price to the group.

I think part of what they are about is that it's al about being fair and reasonable and so shareholders cant sell their shares on. You leave you leave the shares behind.

Well yes, they mention 'Green subsidies' so that stopped me putting in a donation to have them give it to the likes of harry or anyone else who has the 'belief' that solar PV has any (real) value at this latitude (apart from charging some batteries when I'm camping (and the sun is out of course)).
Cheers, T i m
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 09:42:44 +0000, T i m wrote:

Also all benefits only kick in when they have 20,000 subscribers.
So 19,097 more to go then ...
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 09:50:50 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk

Well spotted.

Hmmm ...
Cheers, T i m
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 09:42:44 +0000, T i m wrote:

Well you can't avoid the "Green subsidies". IIRC they account for around 15% of your bill, some are mandatory, others part of the various energy saving schemes that they have to run (free insulation, light bulbs etc).
--
Cheers
Dave.

I guess some 'Green initiatives' are worthwhile (like better insulation and lower energy lights) but it's the ones that make the rich richer (often off the backs of the poor) I object to.
Shame were weren't given the opportunity to tick the boxes of the ones we wished to support?
Cheers, T i m
On 16/02/2017 22:13, T i m wrote:

The generation side of the business is completely separate from the retail side. So, if the whole retail side went over to a non-profit model, it ought not to affect the generation business.
Having said this, I'm not sure whether this new company is going to make much difference. If the retailers are making 5% net profit on the energy they supply, say, that means customers are paying 5% more than to a theoretical non-profit. That could easily be lost if the non-profit is less efficient.
In fact, OFGEM says the average net profit is 4.04% on dual fuel tariffs. So, I wouldn't say this new company is a scam, but it's an awful lot of hype about what is bound to be a pretty tiny saving in fuel costs for most customers.
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/gas/retail-market/retail-market-monitoring/understanding-profits-large-energy-suppliers

Ah, ok, thanks. So a bit like BT Openreach and BT (retail)?

Ok..

Yes, it was that sort of thing I was wondering.

Interesting, thanks.
So, if they could do it GiffGaff style with a minimum number of high wage earners at top or bodies (and buildings) generally in the system they could make some difference but the point as you say is 'how much'.
75% of the 'profit' back to the customers could relate to very little.
Interesting to watch though. ;-)
Cheers, T i m

most of the small energy companies are just resellers for one of the big six
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 14:03:17 +0000, tim... wrote:

From 2002 to 2006 we changed energy suppliers 3 times without signing a single form. We started with Amerada ....
Jethro_uk wrote:

I'm switching virtually every year now, mainly between the big 6 but also tried OVO. The deal when you sign up is generally good (lesser of the evils!) but rarely do any of them try and retain your loyalty with a decent follow-up offer so I move on. The process is all electronic and quite painless. Vehicle/house insurance seems to work the same way. No loyalty benefits.

you were lucky
two of my three switches were seriously fucked up, each taking 9 months and multiple phone calls to the companies concerned to sort out
If you complain they give you 50 quid compo, if you don't they give you nothing.
I think that compensation for an extended switch should be automatic (and for a 9 month delay an order of magnitude more than 50 quid)
tim
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 16:57:48 +0000, Bob Minchin

I guess they work on the basis that there are still many people who simply don't bother.

A mate swaps his BB supply between himself and his wife('s name) each year and gets the automatic 'new customer' discount. ;-)
Cheers, T i m

I'm using Flipper. I pay them to find the best deal, and they check 4 times a year. And move things for me if they find a better one.
I might have my own views about a car etc insurer, but gas and electricity aren't the same.
--
*It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 22:13:09 +0000, T i m wrote:

Didn't at least one small energy supplier go mammaries skywards recently because they weren't big enough to hedge against currency fluctuation and got hit by Brexit vote devaluation?
All very well joining together to buy from the generators but you need financial clout to ride out ups and downs in prices - unless as a consumer you are happy just to track wholesale energy prices.
As far as I know we import much of our energy raw materials, even coal. Therefore not priced in UKP.
Cheers
Dave R

<snip>

It seems credible.

Or unless it's tracked by the supplier for you with them just making enough to keep in the black?

Understood.
Cheers, T i m
On 16/02/2017 22:13, T i m wrote:

And now they have 200K they want 300K! Moving the goal posts at the last minute is hardly trustworthy. Nothing they currently say can be expected to be the truth.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Well, it was 450 and as they still have some days to go it sorta makes sense?

I think you could make that stand if you might lose any money, but as I understand it, if they don't get the lot within the allotted time all pledgers get their money back?

Well, without any fog in this fight I think that might be a bit harsh as it could be just them playing the numbers game to get the best for everyone? If they needed 200k as a minimum but can do better (for everyone) with more at the get-go, then why not go for it? <shrug>
Cheers, T i m
On 16/02/2017 22:13, T i m wrote:

What have you got against shareholders? You're a commie bastard aren't you? I always suspected you of being a red. I'll send my friend Mr McCarthy round.
Bill
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 19:59:01 +0000, Bill Wright

Nothing particularly, just nice if you can share it around a bit more. ;-)

Not knowingly I'm not. ;-)

Funnily I generally brown before I burn. ;-)

Who? Does he know more about this 'Our Energy' thing then? ;-)
Cheers, T i m