OT Opinions?

I once did a few weeks of 85+ hours when I was in Hong Kong, then was called in to see the manager and was told I wasn't working hard enough. The following I took four weeks' holiday, came back to the UK and never went back.

I've no objection to doing hard work and long hours, but if you then have the audacity to complain I'm slacking off, especially if you're shooting off home at 5pm on the dot, then I'm walking.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

> I'll let you know.

I now have some details.

Earning 18 hours a week on the minimum wage will leave her about £50 a week better off but that does not include her costs in getting to and from work. So assume £8 a week in travel costs and that is £42 for 18 hours work or £2.33 an hour.

Reply to
ARW

ARW spake thus:

She's "earning" though, not just "getting", which should increase her self- esteem.

Is it still the case that to work more than 18 hours (at NMW) you lose so much benefit that you need to go full-time to make up the difference?

Reply to
Scion

Indeed and that is what she wants. And TBH an extra £42 a week is a lot of extra money for her.

Dunno. ISTR it used to be the case.

Reply to
ARW

Why don't you start a handyman business & work for yourself?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Luxury. Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Obvious (I think)

HR

Not sure whether this is checking for burglars late at night, or stopping shoplifters and staff nicking stuff.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Reply to
The Other Mike

It's not the same at all. Megacorps can afford to pay a bit of tax.

Reply to
Mark

The board is required by law to try and make a profit for the shareholders. Paying more tax than you need to is probably illegal without asking the shareholders to give their money away.

Reply to
dennis

That's wrong in so many ways. It says "let's steal other people's stuff because we think we deserve it more than them."

Reply to
Huge

Corporation tax is proportional to the shareholders' profits. It gets complicated if there's a tangled nest of companies stradling national borders.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Nothing like. Companies use complex schemes to avoid tax they really should pay. HMRC is currently investigating some of these schemes since they may actually be illegal.

And the less tax the large corporations pay the more tax they will be extracting from the rest of us.

Reply to
Mark

I'm afraid your following statement demonstrates exactly that;

The complexity is irrelevant.

Tax avoidance is completely legal. Indeed, there's a good argument that company directors are obliged to do this.

In your irrelevant opinion.

You are aware (rhetorical, you obviously aren't) that such schemes have to be cleared with HMRC in advance? And that HMRC have general anti-avoidance rules?

So, you're naive, as well.

You need to direct your ire at the people who are really responsible; politicians.

Reply to
Huge